Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 09-09-2012, 07:15 AM

Default PT10 HD and Apogee AD16X?

I am still using Apogee AD16X / DA16X with the old HD daughter cards.

I'm just switching from an old Mac G5 / Protools TDM 8 to a new Mac Pro with Mtn Lion. I don't know yet if I'll be using PT9 or PT10.

Apogee told me a few years ago that they weren't supporting this, but I've read elsewhere that some folks have it working.

Is this 100% workable and dependable, or an "on your own / take a chance" kind of thing?
---------------------------------------------

- And the same questions for Protools HD native, both 9 & 10.

- THANKS.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:37 AM

Default Re: PT10 HD and Apogee AD16X?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
I am still using Apogee AD16X / DA16X with the old HD daughter cards.

I'm just switching from an old Mac G5 / Protools TDM 8 to a new Mac Pro with Mtn Lion. I don't know yet if I'll be using PT9 or PT10.

Apogee told me a few years ago that they weren't supporting this, but I've read elsewhere that some folks have it working.

Is this 100% workable and dependable, or an "on your own / take a chance" kind of thing?
---------------------------------------------

- And the same questions for Protools HD native, both 9 & 10.

- THANKS.
Apogee not supporting what exactly? As near as I can remember Apogee hadn't said anything about not supporting using their converters with any version of PT. Please specify.

I do remember Lynx saying they didn't support using their converter boxes with the adapter cards when the Avid cards were in an expansion chassis.

QAPLA!
Old 09-10-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Apogee not supporting what exactly? As near as I can remember Apogee hadn't said anything about not supporting using their converters with any version of PT. Please specify.
They specifically told me that it wouldn't work with PT9, and that they had no plans to deal with it. This is the reason I didn't buy an HDX upgrade, as I could not also afford to change converters.

Now I'm wondering if they simply didn't want to talk about it, because it MIGHT work but they no longer support it. Plus, of course, they want to sell Symphonys.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:26 AM

I have an AD16X + DA16X combo connected to older PCI cards in a Magma 4 slot chassis (HD4)

This setup has worked fine with: G5 with PCI Magma card and 10.5, Harpertown Mac Pro with PCIe Magma card and 10.6, Hackintosh i5 with PCIe Magma card and 10.7 and a MacBook Pro 5,2 with Expresscard 34 Magma card and 10.7.

I used the PCIe computers with PT9HD at first and have now upgraded to PT10HD without incident (actually, everything seems slicker on PT10- very happy)

Apogee never approved the use of their convertors (with HD interface cards) for use with expansion chassis. I think this is because very, very occasionally the interfaces are not recognised by ProTools. Cancelling the ProTools launch, power cycling the convertors and re-launching ProTools always fixes it.

This is the only issue I've ever had and it happens so infrequently I've never worried about it.

Unfortunately, I can't vouch for a new MacPro and 10.8, as I took one look at the MacPro prices and built a Hackintosh
Old 09-11-2012, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaced View Post

Apogee never approved the use of their convertors (with HD interface cards) for use with expansion chassis. I think this is because very, very occasionally the interfaces are not recognised by ProTools. Cancelling the ProTools launch, power cycling the convertors and re-launching ProTools always fixes it.
So Apogee had this problem as well? I thought Lynx Aurora was the only one not supported to work with HD interface cards in an expansion chassis. learn something new every day I guess.

QAPLA!
Old 09-11-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaced View Post
Interesting.

I never had this problem, myself, but it's good to know about as I set up my new hardware. I did a little benchmarking yesterday with PT10 native and my old sessions, and didn't like what I got. Sessions launched really fast, but plugins count was not as I had hoped t all. I'm pretty sure I have to stick with TDM for a good while longer.

-Thanks for all that info.