Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 09-10-2009, 09:48 AM

Default Re: frequent popping and clicking in HD 8

I am also seeing this on Pro Tools 8 HD3 on Windows XP

FWIW I havent seen it since I reversed my HD card slot order to fix the 6031 error problems, I will let you know if it appears for me again...

I do use A LOT of Auxes & as far as I can tell it seems to occure more if I am doing any half speed recording or playback or loop recording...

Cheers

N
Old 09-10-2009, 02:59 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickH View Post
I am also seeing this on Pro Tools 8 HD3 on Windows XP

FWIW I havent seen it since I reversed my HD card slot order to fix the 6031 error problems, I will let you know if it appears for me again...

I do use A LOT of Auxes & as far as I can tell it seems to occure more if I am doing any half speed recording or playback or loop recording...

Cheers

N
We also have some info that certain motherboards may require a reversing of the card order to avoid 6031's or pops/clicks.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:25 AM

I've been having the same problem on 1 particular session on a similar system. I narrowed it down to Akoustik Piano.....never noticed the problem with it before. Strange.

Wez
Old 07-20-2010, 09:40 AM

Unhappy Re: frequent popping and clicking in HD 8

hey guys
On my system everything working fine in PT 7 but i can't get past 8.0cs3 .6031 errors . when this first happened i ditched my computer and bought a pc audio labs still had the errors i hadn't changed anything and had decided that i was gonna be stuck with 8.0cs3. but about 1 month ago i started hearing clicks and thumps on playback and then after i would do a take there would be clicks in the new recorded file .during recording i'm not hearing them but once you hit stop and play back they are their ..all this happens at random times no rhyme or reason .... i have done all the digi spec's reinstalled everything and like i said it had been working fine and this clicking just started.. funny thing is i have a 002 on loan from a friend and i installed on my old computer that was giving me the errors ...guess what it will run 8.04 with no problems so it seems that my old computer was not the problem .. i use is an hd3 with 192 96 and a 96i .. have you guys got any fixes or suggestions i updated all my plugins but some of them still show 7 instead of 8..
Old 07-20-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odeu87 View Post
during recording i'm not hearing them but once you hit stop and play back they are their ..all this happens at random times no rhyme or reason .... ..
same problem here when i had the 6031's,wierd!!!!

i finally swapped to an ati video card and disconnected my kore 2 hardware controller haven't had any since........
Old 07-21-2010, 07:32 AM

i had this exact problem over a year ago, drove me nuts until i sorted it out!

it transpired that the clicks / pops in the recorded files were happening when the HDD accessed. check it out on your system, bend down and listen to the HDD accessing as you record a file and roughly time it in your head, then when you play back the file, do the clicks and pops seem to coincide with what you observed when recording? it did on mine.

anyway, i have read many reports of modern nVidia GFX cards causing problems like this and of various other kinds with PT HD. many of these also reported their problems being fixed by changing to ATI cards.

however, the Pro / Performance range from nVidia, especially their drivers, are much better. the consumer ones aimed at gamers are the real culprits because their drivers and bundled management apps simply cause havoc with PT HD. do. not. play. nice.

i did a full re-install of my system, changed my nVidia drivers, streamlined my windows even more and was very particular and careful about the install and it fixed it on my system... mostly.

it still happens sometimes, i'm not sure exactly why, but here are some tips on how to avoid / minimize it:

1) if you have to change sample rate or buffer size, make the change, close PT and re-open it with that setting. not doing this seems to bring on these recorded clicks / pops rather quickly in my system.

2) as you go about tracking and editing, try to keep down the amount of files in the session. i find that if i don't practice "good housekeeping" and let the amount of files in the regions list get out of control the dreaded clicks / pops in recorded files can start to reappear. too much stress on the HDD / Mobo at some point in the system's pipes? again, i'm not sure exactly what causes it, but this "housekeeping" certainly helps to prevent it on my system.

3) if you do get any of these clicks / pops in a recorded file, stop immediately, save as, check your buffer settings (change / higher it if you think it will help), do some "housekeeping" in the regions list and close and re-open PT.

if you can't get it under control with the above techniques i suggest a clean install, from the OS up, get the latest / greatest / leanest n meanest drivers for everything, including your Mobo / chipsets / GFX / the works! be damn sure about the order in which you install all of your hardware, drivers and software. try a different GFX card, an ATI if you currently have an nVidia. update the firmare on your HDDs, get Seagate ones if you currently have something else.

if, after all of this, you're still screwed, throw in the proverbial towel, buy a Mac Pro and a Magma PE6R4!

good luck!

richie.

"a paradigm of restraint and good taste at a time of frequent excess"