Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2009, 02:07 AM

Default Black Lion Audio 002 mod

anyone had the Black Lion Audio signature mod done on their their 002 rack . they make big claims on better preamps and audio , as good as the protools hd system . eddie
Old 02-24-2009, 02:44 AM

Default Re: Black Lion Audio 002 mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie lamb View Post
anyone had the Black Lion Audio signature mod done on their their 002 rack . they make big claims on better preamps and audio , as good as the protools hd system . eddie
If you search there is a lot of things said about this. My opinion is that you can do better things with your money to enhance your overall soundquality. But not everyone will agree. To me, it would be one of the last things spending money on and only if I had so much money that I didnt know where to put them.

/Micke

Drummer of Yamaha Birch Absolute Custom Nouveau Vintage Natural - Zildjian K Custom Dark - Sabian HH

Macbook (2009-01) 2.0 GHz 4 GB
Intel Quad (2007-07) Q6600 2x250 4 GB
PT 8
Digirack 002
Monitors: JM-Lab Electra 906 & SW900 driven with Pioneer Reference M-90

"Semiprofessional user"
Old 02-24-2009, 06:28 AM

I'm a happy BLA-modded 002 owner here. The improvement was significant and easy to recognize.

An HD system is nothing more than an out-dated PCI card. No inherent "quality" there. Just old, over-priced technology leftover from an archaic business model that still seems to fool people (unless you need the track count...of course, if Digidesign didn't INTENTIONALLY LIMIT the track count of their LE/M-Powered software lines, this wouldn't be an issue at all. Unless, of course, you're one of those 48-fixed vs. 32-floating guys...Zzzzz...Grasp at straws much?)

If you'd like to compare the BLA-modded pres to, say, DIGI's PRE, I'd say they're better, but I can't really say for sure as I haven't conducted proper A/B testing in a controlled environment.

Also remember that the pre-mods are just the tip of the iceberg. With the BLA mod, you get improved analog sections all-around (this includes the rest of the analog I/O and the monitoring section) as well as an improved clock. Not to mention A/D D/A converter de-coupling and power supply isolation (fixing DIGI's shoddy design work.)

Bottom line? A BLA-modded 002 will give you the potential for just-as-good if not better quality recordings than a HD + 192 I/O + PRE / Control|24 system at about 1/10th the cost. Of course, there are plenty of other variables involved here (talent of the engineer, personal preference for workflow, HD "buzz-word" demand of clientele, etc.)

Also, I agree with Jamtime that there are better things you can do with your money first than mod the 002. Investing in better converters to integrate better outboard pres and improve your monitoring quality come to mind. Acoustic design in your mixing room, better monitors, mics, etc.. Or perhaps advertising for your business? Investing money into a mod like this is basically saying "I am such an incredible tracking/mixing engineer that the only way my mixes can sound better is by getting this mod." Of course, some of us hacks bought it anyway. I've heard productions from stock Mboxes that sounded light years better than productions from tricked-out HD studios. Perhaps investing the money in booking studio time with a great engineer in your area and picking up some tips from him/her? Of course, the mod doesn't hurt if you have the money to burn, and I would certainly recommend it to anyone who doesn't plan on going "all out" and investing in "proper" studio equipment.

Personally, I can't wait for the day when the stigma and all-too-common misconceptions about HD in the industry are shattered and DIGI finally comes clean and introduces a single Native software line that isn't INTENTIONALLY CRIPPLED. Still $10,000 retail for a PCI card with 1/100th the processing power of my 5-year-old video card? Honestly...
Old 02-24-2009, 07:21 AM

Thumbs up Re: Black Lion Audio 002 mod

Alex! I´m with you!

Drummer of Yamaha Birch Absolute Custom Nouveau Vintage Natural - Zildjian K Custom Dark - Sabian HH

Macbook (2009-01) 2.0 GHz 4 GB
Intel Quad (2007-07) Q6600 2x250 4 GB
PT 8
Digirack 002
Monitors: JM-Lab Electra 906 & SW900 driven with Pioneer Reference M-90

"Semiprofessional user"
Old 02-24-2009, 07:57 AM

I have nothing bad to say about the BLA mod, but I agree that for most users there other studio improvements that should be higher on the priority scale. High quality pre-amps and outboard compressors come to mind.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-24-2009, 10:27 AM

I agree with the other posters - I think there are other signal chain links that should be really happening first.

I don't know anything about the signature mod but I had the tweak head done to my 002R. I got the 002 brand new just as the 003 came out. With the mod it was still a little cheaper than the brand new 003 so it wasn't an issue for me to do it.

I have a couple of 'before and after' files that I recorded. Not super scientific but a repeatable test from pre-mod and post-mod. I was actually surprised at the difference.

If you want to hit me up off the forum (through the sites below) I can send you a disc of them if you're interested.
other people's music:
www.headphonomenon.com