Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 07-18-2005, 07:51 AM

Default Re: Using 3rd party MIDI Patch Name files in Pro Tools

Hello all....
Bought the midnam files from skylight... Now I need middev file. I followed all of the advice about adding the device to middev file, but I get a message saying that "manufacturer/model info or instrument mode do not match". Sort of at the end of my rope here. I'm just trying to set up a Triton rack and a Kurzweil PC2, not exactly esoteric pieces. I'm also on a PC, which seems to limit my resources (Cherry Picker, etc...) Any help would be great.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Collect .midnams for user download?

Hey... that error occurs ("An unknown error occured while attempting to parse this instruments's patch name document.") usually because of use of illegal characters in the file, particularly "&". I just wrote a couple of these files for my synths and figured out the hard way that you can't use certain characters... "&" needs to be written as "&"

Hope that saves someone the hour or two it took me to figure that out!! Lol.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:51 PM

Default Re: Collect .midnams for user download?

RATS!!

I have a roland U-20. The Roland U-220 patch is throwing me a no recognize message and Digicake doesn't have a file. So does anyone else have a solution?

Thanks

Ty Ford
Old 12-13-2005, 05:54 AM

Default Re: Using 3rd party MIDI Patch Name files in Pro T

Well I Changed both files as you said and still get a message that the patch name file manufat/model name or instrument mode do not match.

I am trying to continue to use the Roland U-20 as an entry and sound module device.

PTLE7 sees the U20 now, but I can't bring up the sound patches.

What next? What's an instrument mode?

Ty Ford
Old 01-05-2006, 11:20 AM

Hi -

Digi support was kind enough to e-mail me the .midnam and.middev files for my Kurzweil K2600. They apparently are included in PT 7. I have PT 6.9.2, however, which doesn't have them (I purchased my Digi 002 w/PT 6.9 a couple of weeks before PT7 came out).

I placed my .middev file as instructed above in this thread, i.e. MacHD>Library>Audio>MIDI Devices>Digidesign Device List.middev.

I also placed my .midnam file in MacHD>Library>Audio>MIDI Patch Names> as stated above.

When I open a patch, however, there is no patch name just "Midi #_" . When I then clik on "change" and run through the files, I do find the appropriate .midnam file Digi e-mailed me, but when I clik on that file, I still get the following message:

Pro Tool cannot find the appropriate patch name because ... either the manufacturer/model info or instrument mode don't match.

Any thoughts on what I might do?

Thank you.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:54 PM

You might try deleting the K2600 device from Apple's AudioMIDI Setup app, and then add it back in again, connecting it to the same ports. Make sure you choose 'Kurrzweil' from the manufacturer popup menu, and 'K2600' from the model popup - Don't just type in 'K2600' into the text field at the top - it will automatically populate itself if all is well with the middev file. For some reason, this often helps sort out this kind of problem!
Old 01-05-2006, 06:04 PM

Thanks cherrypicker - I actually had given that a try but after reading your post, I tried again. Still no luck - keep getting that same message. I'm a bit baffled as I'm using Digi PT 7's own .midnev and .midnam files.

**cherrypicker, after sending this last post, I opened up the .midnam and discovered you wrote
it! Do I have to buy the 7.0 upgrade to make the patch names work?
Old 01-20-2006, 02:43 PM

I have a somewhat different problem. My Roland JV-1010 is working fine in PT 7 LE but my "vocal expansion" voices are not showing up. I found a vocal expansion midnam, but placing it in the Patches folder did nothing. Do I need to modify the 1010 midnam and paste in the vocal expansion info? I did try that and got nothing, but maybe I'm doing something wrong.

And would I need to modify the middev as well?

You'd think the manufacturers would have these files for download on their websites, wouldn't you?

John Palermo
Old 09-19-2006, 09:57 AM

I notice that this is the most widely read subject in this section.....which must tell Digidesign/ Pro Tools something..
I am another sufferer of missing Patch files for a Yamaha Tyros.....probably the most popular top of the range 'arranger' keyboards on the market. Anyone who is familiar with Yamaha knows that they use much higher quality sounds than just GM or GM2....namely XF , Cool voices and much more.

I do not relish the painful task of trying to creat my own Patch name list, in fact I do not see why I should need too.....so the question is ,,,What do Digidesign/PT propose to do to rectify this situation....or perhaps someone has already got a source for Tyros Patch names ...in which case I would be eternally grateful for a copy.

I look forward to responses with interest.
LeoD
Old 09-19-2006, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Using 3rd party MIDI Patch Name files in Pro T

Tyros is the new generation of the Yamaha PSR generic consumer line of products (keyword there: NEW). While they may have better sounds than the old PSR stuff, and be the "most popular" consumer level yamaha workstation, the fact remains that they are still new.

If Digidesign were to develop patch name files for every new product, they would need all of their resources to be focused on creating patch name files for new gear, instead of fixing/enhancing the current product line. Personally, I would much rather have them making the Pro Tools software better than chasing after every new product trying to create patch files, and honestly, that's not really their job. They have created the ability to add/edit the files required to do this, and in my opinion, it should be up to the manufacturer of the product to provide these files.

On the Windows side of things, the patch name functionality is fairly new. There never used to be a way to define patch names in the Windows version; you had to do everything by number for a long time. Be thankful that the functionality is even there at all. (I certainly am).

Now, I definitely agree with you; there needs to be a better way to create them, but since Digidesign has left the format open, I think a third party developer is about the only way we're going to see progress on this issue. On the MAC side, Cherry Picker seems to be the favorite and apparently works very well. Unfortunately, there isn't a comparable product for the windows side of things (yet).

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12