Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2016, 07:41 AM

Default Assertion error - line 241

When i try to add an insert (eg Expand, EQ, Reverb, etc) to a track, I get the following assertion error:

""

I'm using Pro Tools 12.4.0

My computer is a Dell OptiPlex 7040 i7-6700 with 16GB ram. My interface is a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 2nd Gen. To test the program, I just have one track and I'm working off the c:\ drive (I have an external USB 3.0 drive). I don't think the hardware is the problem.

I believe the problem has something to do with my domain environment. I use roaming profiles. The software was installed while I was logged into my domain (my domain account is in the local admin group). I still get errors when I use my local account (which is also in the admin group).

I really want this to work in a network environment as I need to restrict most the users. It would be nice if a limited user could login & use the software.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:45 AM

Default Re: Assertion error - line 241

Hey

Welcome to the Community

Are you running as Admin on the computer? If not then make that change and see if you can run PT without that issue popping up.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-17-2016, 10:52 AM

Thanks.

When I login with my local user account, everything seems to be good except Expand (I think I just need to remove and install it again). But I'd really like to be able to login with my domain account; I've got to imagine that the large studios work in a network type environment (collaboration, control, backup, etc).

When I'm logged into my domain account: The Pro Tools icon has the shield on it. When I go into the properties of the shortcut, it's set to run as administrator. I right-clicked on it & ran it as administrator. I still get the assertion error.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:03 AM

What is the exact assertion error?

Was it.. Assertion in "..\ ..\ Sys\ Win32\ Sys_VolumeWin32.cpp", line 241?

If so start by searching for keywords like "Assert", "Sys_VolumeWin32.cpp", and "241" on DUC and Google. You'll find recent posts like this one http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=383903 Here, trying to use non-local user accounts, great when folks post solutions back to DUC like that.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:23 AM

Yeah that's the error.

I had read that post before posting my post.

The problem is that the solution was to run Pro Tools from a local user account (which I did get to work). I want to be able to run the program from domain user accounts as I want to be able to control my users. Again, I got to believe that the larger studios are using network type environments & there's got to be a way (setting group permissions, ect) to do it?
Old 09-17-2016, 11:27 AM

Also, all the school labs I've ever seen were network environments. Can Pro Tools not run in a school lab room were the students log into there accounts?
Old 09-17-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Olin View Post
Yeah that's the error.

I had read that post before posting my post.

The problem is that the solution was to run Pro Tools from a local user account (which I did get to work). I want to be able to run the program from domain user accounts as I want to be able to control my users. Again, I got to believe that the larger studios are using network type environments & there's got to be a way (setting group permissions, ect) to do it?
It *may* be an impossible problem. Lots of software is broken and assumes local users, or just never tested in real world/complex domain environments (uh I've shipped some :-() . Avid may be in that camp. You should contact Avid customer support and discuss. You might find more help on DUC if you stated a thread asking about your Pro Tools version running in domain environments. It may be as simple as disabling roaming profiles for a user/computer (did you try that), I think that has caused Pro Tools grief in the past.

if it's possible at all Avid should really have documentation about deploying Pro Tools in a domain environment, there are just too many things to dick with. IMNSHO the Pro Tools Installation Guide is getting worse not better....

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-17-2016 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:55 AM

When I started I was having problems all the way around (local and domain accounts). I uninstalled & reinstalled - that seemed to work. Now Xpand just doesn't work, but I think I can fix that also.

I added a local "User" account to the computer. When I use that account I get the assertion error. When I use my account (which is a member of the admin group) I don't have problems. Does that mean that Pro Tools will only run from a local user account that has administrator privileges (not good).
Old 09-17-2016, 12:05 PM

I'm new to Pro Tools, but I think it might have something to do with Roaming Profiles which is why I mentioned it in my first post.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Olin View Post
I'm new to Pro Tools, but I think it might have something to do with Roaming Profiles which is why I mentioned it in my first post.
Doh, sorry I missed that. Many folks won't see beyond the title of the thread on a forum section, which is why putting a direct question into a thread title can really help.