Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-26-2005, 12:01 PM

Default Plug Ins on a budget

Ok, so I've got things running now and I've started the mixdowns and soemthings missing. I need some plug ins. This I've been told can be a very expensive endeavor. What order do you reccomend I purchase my plug ins in. Most important to least important. Anything you reccomend I download for free? Are there plug ins to stay away from? Let's hear what you would do on a budget?
Old 09-26-2005, 12:29 PM

Default Re: Plug Ins on a budget

#1. VST to RTAS adapter from FXPansion. a must have.

#2. your ears.

So many people think that "plugins are the answer". They aren't. Knowing how to make good sounds with what you have is really the key. While true, some plugins can make good tones sound fantastic, good sounds are in the hands and the ears of the "engineer" using them. There are two old sayings that come into play here:

you can't polish a turd
and
G.I.G.O (garbage in, garbage out)

A wealth of knowledge about how to get good tones (with and without plugins) can be had at The Project Studio Handbook

(though I must say that Analog Channel by McDSP is on the top of my "next to purchase" list.)

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 09-26-2005, 12:44 PM

I appreciate your attempting to answer my question, but I think we disconnected somewhere. I realize that it all comes down to personal preferance and you can't polish a turd, but which plugins do you find to be most useful. I look at a lot of these bundles and I can't imagine where I'd ever use a lot of these in a rock song. I supose I should have said this first. I'm recording guitar driven rock and roll. Is there one set of plugins that you feel are fundimental and achieve the most bang for the buck. The Waves stuff looks great, but I just spent a few grand getting stage one of my home studio set up. I'd like to do the plugins gradually. What are your thoughts? By the way it looks like you've got a very nice studio.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:16 PM

If you're in the So. Cal area, I may be able to direct you to a place.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:27 PM

I'm sorry if it seemed like I was being a jerk, but this topic has been covered here so many times...
Quote:
Ok, so I've got things running now and I've started the mixdowns and soemthings missing. I need some plug ins
No, we didn't disconnect anywhere. You're telling me something is missing from your mixdowns and it must be plugins. And I was telling you that you might be mistaken about that. That's all.
Quote:
I can't imagine where I'd ever use a lot of these in a rock song.
Then you don't need it.
Quote:
which plugins do you find to be most useful.
Again, as mentioned by you and me both, this all comes down to what you've got. If I had more money, I might have more plugins that I found to be useful. Other users on here will have a different list. Other users have posted their lists. Hundreds of times. Recently.

I personally find the VST-RTAS adapter to be a must have for any Pro Tools setup. (as I mentioned above in my original answer).
I personally find the new free EQIII to be a very useful plug and reach for it alot.
I personally find the free BF76 compressor to be a very useful plug and reach for it alot.
I personally find the LA-3A that came with my factory bundle to be very useful and reach for it alot.
I purchased Auto-tune because many of the artists I work with can't carry a tune in a bucket; I find it very useful and reach for it alot.
As mentioned, Analog channel is on my "next purchase" list. I've tried the demo, already found it useful, and I'm sure that when i own it I will reach for it alot.

The question you are asking is particularly restrictive. You are asking what plugins are "must have"s but aren't expensive. You've already excluded the waves plugins, so you've already excluded a bunch of users from answering.
The real question you should be asking is "why are they useful"? And the answers are on that link that I gave you. If you know why they are useful, then you will know which ones will be useful, and you might not need to ask the question.

You really want some plugin suggestions? Take the advice of Grammy winning engineer/mixer/producer Charles Dye

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 09-26-2005, 01:31 PM

epiphany_79,
Quote:
I appreciate your attempting to answer my question, but I think we disconnected somewhere.
Dude..I must respectfully disagree..the poster spkguitar answered your query.
Seeing that you " I just spent a few grand getting stage one of my home studio set up. I'd like to do the plugins gradually. ..I'd suggest to start recording, gain experience in the production process and use the supplied standard Digidesign plugins to start ! You wanted budget or free..you already have them.
Plugins alone will not make it rock.

happy tooling,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 09-26-2005, 01:34 PM

If you are recording guitar-driven rock, the plugins that come with ProTools LE surely can do the job. I find that there are other plugs that will sound better, but the DigiRack can serve the purpose. You will pay for higher quality plugs. For recording rock, you will need to get familiar with your compressor, limiter, equalizer, delay, and reverb for a start.

Specifically, I think that the Maxim limiter is workable and the D-Verb is passable when used tastefully. The Bomb Factory 76 compressor is definately useable. I find that I still use Digi's EQ3 quite a bit ... very nice sounding and easy to "dial in." You may not need to consider another EQ plug for a while.

When you are ready to upgrade your plugs to something with a more intuitive interface and improved sonics, I feel that you get a good value for you money with stuff from Elemental Audio and iZotope . Both companies have reasonably priced RTAS plugs that are very useful for rock applications. You may get a LOT of mileage out of iZotope's Ozone .

All of this is IMHO, and naturally YMMV. When you are starting out and don't have much money to play with, I feel that PTLE gives you enough tools to do what's important: making music.

CrossFire Studios
Old 09-26-2005, 02:24 PM

Plugins may not be THE answer, but they're certainly AN answer. And yes, the addiction is worse than any narcotic.
The order I bought plug ins was:

Waves Gold
Upgrade to Platinum
Upgrade to Diamond
Auto Tune
Focusrite d2/d3
FXPansion VST2RTAS Wrapper
Joe Meek
Sound Replacer
Antares Tube
Antares Filter
Antares Kantos
Waves IR-1
Waves Q-Clone
McDSP Classic Pack
Waves APA32
Reason 3.0
FXpansion BFD w/ XFL and 8 Bit Kit Add Ons

And I doubt that I'm done yet.

That doesn't really answer your question, but I guess I'd suggest addressing the Comp/EQ areas first. The Gold Bundle made sense to me, as it has just about everything one needs.
The point about "everything you need is included with ProTools" is well taken, but we all know that there are better plugs in every category than the DigiRack stuff.
I say go hog wild. Most companies offer trial periods on their stuff. Try some stuff out. Buy what sounds good.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:43 PM

Oh, another one just popped to mind: Antares Tube. Makes everything from tracks, to submixes, to the master mix simply sound fuller and better. Not too expensive either at $130 USD. I've used it on EVERYTHING.

CrossFire Studios
Old 09-26-2005, 03:13 PM

Some useful links that may help your mixing endeavor.

Another two thumbs up for McDSP plugins also thier AC1 and AC2.

And use the Sony Oxford reverb or nothin else.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit