How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 09-29-2022, 06:21 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Intro (free)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flandybob View Post
It's still loading studio for me (ilok cloud), even though I put the intro license on my ilok too.
I need to take some time to load intro to see what works
Simply deactivate the studio license. In ilok manager, select your ilok, right-click on the studio license and select 'deactivate'.
Old 09-29-2022, 06:30 AM

I have a studio license for a macbook on iLok cloud. It might be handy to have Intro if there were no internet connection, wonder if it is smart enough to handle that scenario.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 09-29-2022, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Simply deactivate the studio license. In ilok manager, select your ilok, right-click on the studio license and select 'deactivate'.
I know, I was answering MikeC :)
Old 09-29-2022, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
I have a studio license for a macbook on iLok cloud. It might be handy to have Intro if there were no internet connection, wonder if it is smart enough to handle that scenario.
I just did a surprisingly successful test, and learned a few things on the way. My current Studio 2020.11 license is iLok Cloud, and I figured I'd install a separate version of Intro which is of course up to date.

When you go here - https://www.avid.com/pro-tools/intro - and press the Download button, it takes you to your iLok account or prompts to set up a new one (it remembered my usual login), then you download what is labelled as Intro. In fact it is the full 2022.9 installer (which unpacks to over 4gb), and is not labelled Intro at all - it only becomes Intro when launched with an appropriate license (or your subs have run out). In iLok manager I moved the Intro license to my machine, so it's permanently there.

I first renamed the 2020.11 app with a FULL suffix (as it will be for me), then unpacked and installed 2022.9. Once done I renamed the new app 2022.9 INTRO. (I also deleted Avid Link, which historically has sent my 2015 MBP's CPU haywire). Doing it this way also means that if I plug in my physical iLok with my Ultimate license on it, I now have an up to date Ultimate version on my MBP.

As for Intro, it seemed to work great. I have full Melodyne on the machine, and it worked even on Intro - slow to analyse, but it worked. Excellently, it can Import Session Data, so if you're in a fix and need to open an full session, you can just pick the most important tracks. It scanned all my AAXs (and VST3s via Waves' brilliant Studio Rack so I can use everything in Audio Suite). It imports all your templates. The main thing I instantly missed is that it doesn't have a timecode display, it works in basic minutes and seconds, so that throws me a bit but hey-ho.

Anyway, it all now means that even if the iLok servers are down or I lack reliable net access, I do have an emergency basic version of Pro Tools on my MBP that should always work even down the bottom of a big well (getting Pro Tools working will be my primary concern in this situation of course).

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 10-01-2022, 09:11 PM

I wonder why Avid made Pro Tools Intro to require iLok activation.
What happens if I lose access to a machine with ILok activation for Pro Tools Intro? Do I need to create another Avid account just to obtain additional license?
I understand that I can use it without a iLok dongle with local machine activation, but wouldn't it be better to entirely remove iLok? One less step for entry.
I guess people can activate on a dongle, but that seems silly if you buy a dongle just to use Pro Tools Intro.
If no license found, it should just let you run Pro Tools Intro like how Sibelius First works now.
Old 10-02-2022, 12:48 AM

You have five ilok activations so that should be plenty for machine auth, even if one crashes and you lose your license. I would expect avid would be inclined to send another ilok license if you were to lose all 5
Old 10-02-2022, 06:07 AM

PT Intro uses Pace authorization, however it is a disk based authorization and not an iLok authorization (cloud or dongle).

Last edited by sdelsolray; 10-02-2022 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Scolded by mod repair.
Old 10-02-2022, 07:38 AM

PT Free? That was 2001. Then there was PT First, now they have PT Intro.
Old 10-02-2022, 09:49 PM

I'd like to have Pro Tools Intro on a couple remote machines away from my main Pro Tools rigs, mostly just for noodling and "jotting down" sudden inspiration. Would these instances interfere at all with my perpetual licenses (one of which is Pro Tools 10)? Would it be safer to create a separate account just for Intro?
Old 10-06-2022, 12:50 PM

Just want to say that one of my big PT dreams has come true with PT Intro. I travel a lot and use PT Studio with my MacBook Pro 16", typically using iLok cloud for activation. But in a few instances while on a plane, I've found myself without the ability to activate PT because I didn't have WiFi access (and I'd forgotten to transfer the license to my USB iLok before the flights).

I just went through the process of downloading PT Intro (which as people have mentioned is just the full PT installer). It prompted me for my existing iLok ID, which I provided. I then opened the iLok license manager and activated PT Intro on my MBP. (I never used the installer since I'd already installed 2022.9.)

So NOW, when I open PT while on WiFi, PT Studio opens... BUT when WiFi is disconnected, it opens PT Intro, with a notification saying it's in "offline mode". Same app, same plugins show up, presumably just with the limited functionality.

Obviously doesn't eliminate the need for an iLok cloud or hardware double (which would be the ultimate dream), but nice that there now isn't a scenario where I'd lose ALL access in the event I find myself without either.