How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2011, 01:56 PM
Avid

Default Re: Eleven Rack FX Loop - Terrible hiss if placed before amp

Well, when the FX Loop is placed pre-amp, any noise in the FX Loop will be amplified when it hits the amp model, of course...so you may need to adjust your Amp's gate appropriately. See if that helps.
P&S Creative Professional
AVID
Old 01-06-2011, 01:04 AM

Hi,

Changing FX loop settings has no impact.

Even with low gain amps with a very clean setting the hiss is at such levels that the noise gate is not much use as you can easily hear it while playing.

What I do not understand is that surely if there is nothing physically attached to the send/returns then the noise must be coming from the eleven rack.

If the loop is after the amp I get absolutely no hiss, not even a hint.

If you are saying this is normal I will stop worrying about it and just not use the fx loop pre amp, otherwise maybe I should get a replacement?

Cheers

Andy
Old 01-06-2011, 01:19 PM

I tried the stereo mono fix and although it might have helped a very little on a couple of patches, it was still unuseable. I finally just put the vol pedal after the amp in the FX loop and adjusted each patch individually. Seems to be working fine in this configuration at home. We'll see how it does out live and thru the PA next week (the real test). Keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 01-06-2011, 01:24 PM
Avid

Yeah, the best way to use the FX Loop is really in the 'Amp Out' or 'Rig Out' positions. In the code, the 'Amp Out' is more like a real-world amp's FX Loop configuration.

If you have FX which you must have before the amp, it may be better to put those in front of the Eleven Rack input instead of running them on the FX Loop.
P&S Creative Professional
AVID
Old 04-09-2012, 01:05 AM

I know this thread is super old but I'm having the exact same problem and I have a hard time believing that this is normal.. The only way to make the hiss even remotely manageable is to put the send at +12db and the return at -12db and crank the output up on the effects unit. Not being able to have effects in front of the amp really limits the flexibility quite a bit. Thing live pitch shifting, envelope filters and the like have to go in front of the amp and the hiss is terrible even on a Fender clean amp model.. I'd really rather not put FX straight into the guitar input because that will defeat the true-Z input.. which I know using real stomp boxes would do anyways but not being able to move the loop around per patch would be a major downer and considering the lack of effects in the 11R I don't have any choice.. When need an expansion pack with dedicated tremolo/vibrato,envelope filter/autowah,octavia and a pitch shifter. Problem solved