Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 01:13 AM

Default a BIG session...?

Hey
Im experiencing something new. Im working on a project that is about 1.5 GB. When Im trying to make a back up (Save session copy in... you know the drill) PT gives me a dialogscreen saying that theres not enough free speace - 480 GB required!!!!! What? Ive tried restarting, saving on different drives and so on nothing works.

Help me Obi Van Kenobi, you´re my only hope

/R
Old 09-29-2005, 04:48 AM

Default Re: a BIG session...?

What version of Pro Tools? There used to be a bug exactly like this but it was fixed some time ago. Some things to try:

Delete all the fades and rebuild them. Probably won't work but its easy to do!

Is it possible you have multiple files with the same name? This could occur in many ways, for instance if you have the same sound effect on different tracks, allocated to different drives, and then you AS process each with the same process. You've now got two files named the same thing on two different drives. Pro Tools used to have trouble resolving that.

For fun, you can import the tracks to a new session to see what happens. Unfortunately this is not ideal but it may reveal problem files. You can try this two ways, referencing the existing files, or copying to brand new files. Try to save session as. It will point whether the problem is due to a corrupt session, corrupt region on a track, or a corrupt file.

I have more than one session archived, from days gone by, with this problem. Because the sessions played okay, I felt it was more efficient to hand copy all files using the Finder rather than trying to fix some unknown problem in a huge session. It takes some care to be sure everything is archived.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:46 PM

A bit along the same line as the previous poster, wondering if there is a corrupt file that got referenced along the way - one thing to check - if you quickly look through audio file folders - arranged by size - and see if there are any suspiciously oversized ones - if PT is interupted during a record (crash or hang) I've had it generate a corrupt and, what it sees as a largely oversized, file.

Otherwise RF's suggestion above, to open a virgin session and import a track or so at a time until you hit something problematic...

good luck

Old 10-01-2005, 04:12 PM

Hi again, and thank you for your replies!

I have tried all the things you´ve suggested but I´m still sitting here with a "484GB" session wich is kind of fun, but it won´t be as fun in a week when I´m am taking the session to the mix since the session is not on a portable disc.

So, unless I want to bring my g5 to the other edge of town - any other suggetions?

I´m running the session in PT 6.4, under OS 10.3.5 on a g5 dual 1.8GHz with digi002. The session runs smoothely without any problems exept fot the backupissue. Another thing about the project worth mentioning might be that it´s part II of a project created from the same editingsuite and part I is running without any issues. I have two other project created with exactly the same setup running flawlessly.

The good news is that when I copy the session to another disc "by hand" it shows that it´s the exact same size, wich probably means that I can copy it to an external disc that way and hopefully it´ll work. Still...

So, any other suggestions?

/R
Old 10-01-2005, 05:14 PM

Hey!

have you tried track importing and copy files. (not redirect!)
...used to solve the "export session to disk" with mix+...some years ago...

With OS 10.3.5 and 10.3.9 ive heard some strange things happening in all ways...
just rumours... (???)

If you dont need file handle (you´ll need it),
you could simply duplicate all regions (meaning: consolidate)...
if that doesnt help you have a gost in you machine or an Intel

cheers,
mubeau
Old 10-02-2005, 05:11 AM

Are you saying the Pro Tools session file is 484GB? Or do you mean the folder? A session file that big is most certainly corrupt.

I get the feeling you did not try everything suggested. Pardon me, as I do not mean to be rude, but did you actually try to import each track (one at a time if you have to) into a new session? It is your best chance at eliminating the problem, whatever it is. I suggested before to try the import two ways, referincing the original or copying the original. After thinking about it, go straight to copying the media and don't bother with trying to reference the prvious files. A clean start will not hurt you.

Otherwise, go to your mix and hope for the best. My advice? You've got a week, it might be wise to eliminate the problem instead of risking some mix time next week. But that's just my opinion.