Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2006, 04:40 PM

Default CPU HELP?

Hey everyone. I'm new here on the board but have been running my pro tools mix plus system on my now old and dated Mac G4 for around two years. I have recently just purchased amplitube 2 and BFD plugins which run on rtas and use alot of my CPU power.

I was considering getting a new Power Mac G5 but was told my Core and Farm cards will not fit in the new PCI Express slots in the new G5's but on digidesign's web site it says even the new HD system runs on PCI not PCI Express so can anyone shed some light?

However I do have a pretty decent PC running
AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ 2.01 GHz with 4 GB ram

Would this be as good of a system to run my mix plus on as a G5 and how well does Pro tools run on a PC compared to a Mac?

If anyone could point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.

Thank you.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:59 PM

Default Re: CPU HELP?

HD systems use either PCI(-X) or PCIe. You specify which you are using when you purchase an HD system. If you already own HD cards for PCI(-X), and are moving to PCIe, you do one of two things:

1. Buy your cards again in what Digidesign calls a crossgrade program. The cost to crossgrade from PCI(-X) to PCIe is the same as buying new PCIe cards.

2. Buy Digidesign's Expansion|HD to house your PCI(-X) cards and get the PCIe host adapter with it.

MIX hardware does not function with the G5.

I have no idea if your PC is worthy of running MIX. You will want to ask that in the Windows troubleshooting forum.