Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 06-19-2022, 05:06 PM

Default lost ilok protools 9 using 003 rack trying to recover tunes

Hi I was running an old protools version 9 on my macbook pro years ago but lost the ilok (i think version 2) and was wondering what was involved to get the old program running again to recover old projects. There is obviously no cloud access for that old model.

I contacted ilok and they have said to submit a lost ilok RMA which I can do via their website but what happens then? Do I have to request the license back from AVID for the protools 9 access ? And will I need to purchase a new ilok and whats involved with getting the license back onto the new ilok? How do you even contact AVID for a new license?

I have been drip fed a little information from ilok support (mainly to do with submitting RMA) but I just want to know the entire process before going ahead with everything as I want to know if its even worth it or should I just purchase new protools gear and would my old protools projects run on the new program?

Looking to weigh it all up with costs involved and hassles etc....what would be the best way to go forward?

Thanks
Old 06-19-2022, 07:22 PM

Default Re: lost ilok protools 9 using 003 rack trying to recover tunes

Yeah that's kind of like getting a copy of a key without the original in your hand.

Least hassle is a new one month subscription, try to open and export your old tunes, walk away.

Definitely, your old license is quite gone if the iLok is gone. You would have to de-authorize the key, like an apartment building deleting a stolen fob. Then iLok manager would allow the transfer to new key.

It is kind of like "do not copy" - it can or >should not be copied and used unauthorized. I think you may have been arrogant, for the record. Simple situation, you lost the car and key, not just the key, that is a better analogy for your situation.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 06-19-2022, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nednednerb View Post
Yeah that's kind of like getting a copy of a key without the original in your hand.

Least hassle is a new one month subscription, try to open and export your old tunes, walk away.

Definitely, your old license is quite gone if the iLok is gone. You would have to de-authorize the key, like an apartment building deleting a stolen fob. Then iLok manager would allow the transfer to new key.

It is kind of like "do not copy" - it can or >should not be copied and used unauthorized. I think you may have been arrogant, for the record. Simple situation, you lost the car and key, not just the key, that is a better analogy for your situation.

Haha how was I arrogant?

No worries, all I want to do is possibly re-purchase an ilok and repurchase a license but dont know how to go about buying the license to make that program work again. Trying to get in contact with Avid has proved to be difficult, even if Im willing to buy something off them.

The download of the demo to get my old projects back will work, but was thinking of having a play around on the old gear as its been years before I go spending thousands on upgrades etc. I still have the old interfaces and computer (Id say thats the car in your analogy) , so it still should run....like you say , I just need the "key and immobilizer" ie the ilok and license

Last edited by amateurtool; 06-20-2022 at 12:06 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 06-20-2022, 06:57 PM

I mean buy the inexpensive monthly subscription and just try your old sessions. I think it will cost more to get the old version running again.

||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 06-20-2022, 06:57 PM

Old cars can be rusty and hard to restart

Old 06-21-2022, 03:01 PM

Consider, no older version of PT is going to run on any current OS on either Mac or Windows. BUT; older sessions(if NOT done with SD II format audio) should open on any newer version of PT

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-23-2022, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Consider, no older version of PT is going to run on any current OS on either Mac or Windows. BUT; older sessions(if NOT done with SD II format audio) should open on any newer version of PT
ok thanks for that mate! Cheers .....Except Im not sure what SD II format is haha
Old 06-25-2022, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amateurtool View Post
ok thanks for that mate! Cheers .....Except Im not sure what SD II format is haha
SD II is an old audio file format from Apple and early PT versions often used that format(at least as an option). Those old sessions may not open and play on newer setups(and certainly won't on a PC). In any case, since you didn't know what SD II was, you most likely recorded in wave or AIFF format. Both of those should open and run on any modern setup. If you have an iLok, you could get the Pro Tools Artist version($10/month?) and open your old sessions(up to the Artist 32 audio track limit).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave