How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 10-17-2015, 10:03 AM

Default Re: Combination of VI's and Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarist9891 View Post
Yes that helps! Thanks. everything sounds aligned after about 5 mins of experimenting to get the offset right.

Unfortunately it is still Buffer size dependent but I guess I need a new computer anyway to set a hardware buffer size and forget about it.

I currently have 2.4 ghz i5 with 4 gigs of ram. Late 2013 13 inch macbook pro.
Yes, that is the one downfall. Ideally, changing the buffer needs to automatically update the user defined MIDI offset values behind the scenes. Pro Tools needs to do this automatically. Let the computer do the manual work. That's what they're for.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 10-17-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Yes, that is the one downfall. Ideally, changing the buffer needs to automatically update the user defined MIDI offset values behind the scenes. Pro Tools needs to do this automatically. Let the computer do the manual work. That's what they're for.

Shane
If you put this on ideascale, I will click the vote button with vigor.
Old 10-17-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarist9891 View Post
The box in your link does it compensate for what I had automatically? Or what I had was a separate issue? In other words will getting this box mean I will no longer have to input midi track offset manually? and will it also make monitoring the external gear through pro tools tighter?
Innerclock System time pieces are not cheap however worth every penny if you are serious about sample accurate synchronization when running hardware. I'll use a few Elektron machines with Ableton or Pro Tools, send the main output audio [audio interface must support 2 x stereo outputs] to the Sync-Gen which generates time pulses returned via MIDI to a Machinedrum or Monomachine, nothing else to do. Press Play and every VI and every hardware device plays beautifully in time.
Old 10-18-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
Innerclock System time pieces are not cheap however worth every penny if you are serious about sample accurate synchronization when running hardware. I'll use a few Elektron machines with Ableton or Pro Tools, send the main output audio [audio interface must support 2 x stereo outputs] to the Sync-Gen which generates time pulses returned via MIDI to a Machinedrum or Monomachine, nothing else to do. Press Play and every VI and every hardware device plays beautifully in time.
To be honest I am still a little confused about these boxes. As far as I understand they are used to sync up the tempo between the DAW and outside synths like drum machines, step sequencers, arpeggiators etc.

I am the kind of producers that plays all the parts in on keyboard. So my problem was not with tempo but with files not being in sync due to buffer latency issues.

As far as understand this box won't help with that. Correct me if I am wrong.

P.S.
I mainly use samples of piano, bass, strings. I am not really a big synth guy.
In terms of drums Superior drummer 2 and addictive drums 2 work just fine and in terms of drums - VI offer much greater flexibility than any hardware drum machine I know of.