Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 09-25-2022, 11:37 AM

Default "plug-in is not present in the plug-ins folder" error

I'm remixing a song I recorded last year. The tracks for this project were mostly frozen.

In four instances, I had used a limiter plug-in on an aux effects track, D16 Group's Frontier.

When I opened the session file, the plug-in was listed as 'not present in the plug-ins folder.'

When I unfroze those four tracks and tried to activate that plug-in, I got the error "The plug-in could not be made active because the plug-in is not present in the plug-ins folder."

The plug-in is indeed in the plug-ins folder.

This is a new machine and a new PT installation. I downloaded and installed new versions of all plug-ins at the time of the install.

When this cropped up, I tried uninstalling the new version (1.2) and reinstalling the version that was used in these tracks (1.0). I thought that maybe PT wasn't seeing it because it's a new version.

I got the same error.

Not a huge problem, but I'm wondering why this might be happening.

I can load a new instance, but it never sees the instances that are there.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

dg
Be Quiet Pure Base 600 case * Core i5-12600K * Gigabyte Z690 UD AX * 32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 * 2X HP DreamColor Z24x G2 displays * NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 * Samsung 980 boot drive * Samsung 870 EVO PT projects drive * Samsung 860 EVO PT archive drive * Novation Impulse 49 MIDI * PreSonus Studio 26c interface * PreSonus Bluetube V2 preamp * PreSonus HP4 headphone amp * JBL LR 305 monitors * Sennheiser HD 650 headphones *

Windows 10 Pro 64 21H2, Pro Tools 2022.7.0
Old 09-25-2022, 04:34 PM

Default Re: "plug-in is not present in the plug-ins folder" error

Did you try trashing prefs, especially to force Pro Tools to rebuild the plugin index/cache?

I don't know the plugin but is there any possibility there is something askew here say with different versions or different behavior for mono/multichannel vs stereo (i.e. are your tests on the same track type?)

Was the 1.0 version you installed really the same as before, like same format, not using a compatibility wrapper etc. Like any chance it was RTAS or AAX-32 on Windows 10 and now it's tryin got use AAX-64? There might be some incompatibility there... like some of the plugins that broke compatibility from RTAS to AAX something the vendor support might know off the top of their heads. And no I'm not even sure this plugin was ever in RTAS, or you were ever using it in RTAS even if it was.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-25-2022 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-25-2022, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Did you try trashing prefs, especially to force Pro Tools to rebuild the plugin index/cache?
Yes.

Quote:
I don't know the plugin but is there any possibility there is something askew here say with different versions or different behavior for mono/multichannel vs stereo (i.e. are your tests on the same track type?)
I don't think so. These four tracks are all mono and I'm certain that when I uninstalled the new version I reinstalled the version that was there. I keep copious notes about this stiff

Quote:
Was the 1.0 version you installed really the same as before, like same format, not using a compatibility wrapper etc. Like any chance it was RTAS or AAX-32 on Windows 10 and now it's tryin got use AAX-64?
Same format. Have never used RTAS: only AAX

Thanks for your help.

I'll contact the vendor.
Be Quiet Pure Base 600 case * Core i5-12600K * Gigabyte Z690 UD AX * 32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 * 2X HP DreamColor Z24x G2 displays * NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 * Samsung 980 boot drive * Samsung 870 EVO PT projects drive * Samsung 860 EVO PT archive drive * Novation Impulse 49 MIDI * PreSonus Studio 26c interface * PreSonus Bluetube V2 preamp * PreSonus HP4 headphone amp * JBL LR 305 monitors * Sennheiser HD 650 headphones *

Old 09-26-2022, 08:30 AM

Sounds like a problem for D16 Group - I'd contact their support.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 09-26-2022, 08:42 AM

Just my opinion, but I would not leave tracks frozen for long periods. If you are going to put a session away for weeks or months, I would use track commit, or commit up to the last plugin and keep the original track in view but inactive. Track Freeze looks great on paper, but has bitten many folks right in the ASSets

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-26-2022, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Just my opinion, but I would not leave tracks frozen for long periods. If you are going to put a session away for weeks or months, I would use track commit, or commit up to the last plugin and keep the original track in view but inactive. Track Freeze looks great on paper, but has bitten many folks right in the ASSets
Thanks--I had no idea about this.

My old system was so slow that I had to freeze just about everything to do anything.

Old 09-26-2022, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg27 View Post
Thanks--I had no idea about this.

My old system was so slow that I had to freeze just about everything to do anything.
Check the manual for all the details on this. Freeze and Commit happened at the same time. There are multiple ways to use Track Commit(and maybe Freeze, but I'm not a fan of that). You can commit the entire track(with or without automation), but I find Commit up to This Plugin more useful. Doing that retains any plugins that happen AFTER the plugin you commit to(handy if some plugins have automated changes or if you are not sold on settings). This gets the most use with Melodyne as I always use that in the first slot. Once edits are done, I use Commit up to(Melodyne) and do nothing to the original track. Once the commit is done(can be off-line or real time), I make a new playlist on the original track and move the new committed audio back to where it started(delete or hide the now-blank track you just made with the commit function). Also, check youtube for some tutorials(a video is worth way more than my babbling).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-26-2022, 02:18 PM

Quote:
... snip... Also, check youtube for some tutorials(a video is worth way more than my babbling).
Dave, I watch a lot of the YouTubes and your babbling is much more useful.
Old 09-26-2022, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Check the manual for all the details on this. Freeze and Commit happened at the same time. There are multiple ways to use Track Commit(and maybe Freeze, but I'm not a fan of that)....

Also, check youtube for some tutorials(a video is worth way more than my babbling).
Thanks for all this.

I've never used commit, only freeze to whatever insert makes the most sense.

I've only gone through 2 of the 20-odd songs I's working on. So far I haven't had any problems with previously frozen tracks other than the Frontier limiter issue.

At this point I'm not freezing anything (and haven't had to yet).

Thanks again.

dg

Old 09-26-2022, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
Dave, I watch a lot of the YouTubes and your babbling is much more useful.
My long-time guitar tech in NYC (who is still my guitar tech though I'm no longer in NYC) always preached that I should NEVER listen to guys on YouTube because "it's some guy sitting in his boxers in his grandmother's basement."