How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 01-19-2022, 11:24 AM

Default Re: Is It Me - Or Did This Forum Used to Have a Lot More Engagement

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
Indeed! Though if you want absolute and total over-engagement… spend a few minutes reading the Pro Tools User Group on Facebook.
I don't do Fakebook anymore. I do frequent a couple of threads over on Gearspace (used to be Gearslutz) though. What I think has turned off some people here is that very few posters (especially the relatively new ones) provide any kind of system info and when you ask for it they don't reply.

QAPLA!
Old 01-19-2022, 11:32 AM

Remember when Phil Jackson did amazing Digidesign tutorial videos?

Including one with David LeBolt on the Velvet keyboard VI?

Remember when we used to see real products innovated by Digidesign and amazing fun product releases that we'd gladly pay for AFTER they were launched?

Bring back those days!
Studio: 2021 Mac Studio Ultra M1 20 Core CPU, 48 Core GPU, 64GB Ram, 4TB SSD boot | Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.12 | PreSonus Quantum 4848 interface | Digi PRE, FR OctoPre MKII, Mackie Onyx 800R, Panasonic WZ-AD96M and DA7, Eleven Rack, Apogee Big Ben, Mercury, Rode K2, Slate VMS ML-1. Laptop: Dell Inspiron 5559, i7-6500U 2.6Ghz, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 1920x1080 1TB SSD
Old 01-19-2022, 12:33 PM

Funny. A similar thread is hot today on the talkbass forum. People accusing it of being an old man's forum and that forums in general, are only for old people. The theory is that people go to youtube and social media for help these day and don't have the patience to read help from old people.

I am not a particular supporter of that theory. I do believe that Google's search results algorithms are pushing youtube and down-rating user forums.
Lenovo Legion 5 Laptop PC, Intel Hexa-Core i7-10750H, Nvidia GTX 1650Ti, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 512GB SSD, Windows 10 Enterprise (20H2), 1TB SSD external work drive, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Pro Tools 2021.12, Avid Control w/Apple iPad, Avid Dock Control Surface.
Old 01-19-2022, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basslice View Post
Funny. A similar thread is hot today on the talkbass forum. People accusing it of being an old man's forum and that forums in general, are only for old people. The theory is that people go to youtube and social media for help these day and don't have the patience to read help from old people.

I am not a particular supporter of that theory. I do believe that Google's search results algorithms are pushing youtube and down-rating user forums.
If you know the site you're looking for help from use the site: operator in your favorite search engine. Works a hell of a lot better than the one here in the DUC.

QAPLA!
Old 01-19-2022, 01:57 PM

dare i say, its because they've engineered the worst of the problems away, and theres nothing of real importance to complain about? haha
Old 01-19-2022, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt kirk View Post
dare i say, its because they've engineered the worst of the problems away, and theres nothing of real importance to complain about? haha
It'd be nice to see that day but we all know it ain't gonna happen. Then again it depends on what type of music you're doing

QAPLA!
Old 01-19-2022, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I don't do Fakebook anymore. I do frequent a couple of threads over on Gearspace (used to be Gearslutz) though. What I think has turned off some people here is that very few posters (especially the relatively new ones) provide any kind of system info and when you ask for it they don't reply.
I suspect it is really just natural attrition based on social changes. The Pro Tools user group is really active, but it is hugely dominated by much newer users asking questions like “what is this [volume automation] line doing across my clips and how do i get rid of it”.

Forums are probably just slipping out of favour in general. If you know where to look, you can speak with other highly experienced and professional users on various social media platforms in a much more transparent way than what many forums offer.
Old 01-19-2022, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookerv12 View Post

calling tracks stems, using the term VST's and being arrogant about it.

(It finally dawned on me that they are fresh from YouTube and assumed VST's are software instruments...)

The whole stems thing annoys the hell put of me.

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2022, 03:43 PM

1 - Abysmal user experience on mobile on the DUC. It's like 2003 in here. (I'm aware Tapatalk app exists. Thanks but no thanks. I have enough apps.)

2 - User migration to Facebook Groups, where users are likely to have the group presented to them naturally in their feed if their activity on our off Facebook suggests an interest in Pro Tools. Many people already have FB accounts and Avid staff seem to prioritize engagement on that platform. (I have closed my FB account but I do sometimes miss these and other groups.)
Old 01-19-2022, 04:24 PM

Personally, I have no problem with the segregation by the the new version naming system. While I have pretty much left 2019, I do check it occasionally as I still have an install remaining.

I also have no problem with the Mac OS v Windoze OS segregation. I paid my Microsoft dues years ago and don't need to know much about it these days.

I do not, nor have I ever had Facepage, Tweety or Instacringe accounts.

I've been a daily reader since 2009 and have gained a metric ****-ton of knowledges from all y'all. Thanks to the majority of you who are smarter than I and willing to share your time.

I should also add - Yes, I'm now an "old guy". There is probably some validity to the "It's for Old People" argument. This is *not* a negative in my view.

Last edited by Bob L; 01-19-2022 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Addition