Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2013, 11:14 PM

Default Any latency in wireless Key Board/Mouse vs Wired?

Hey guys I have a quick question. I currently have my wired mouse and keyboard that came with my computer. I'm just wanting to upgrade to something new, perhaps a keyboard with backlights to work in the dark, or maybe a wireless keyboard/mouse combo.

I'm just wondering if there are any latency differences between using a wireless mouse vs wired. I just wondered if there is something like that that could affect say automating a plug in with the mouse or something like that. Thanks!
Old 04-14-2013, 11:44 PM

Default Re: Any latency in wireless Key Board/Mouse vs Wired?

I've had a wireless keyboard and mouse on my regular desktop for years and not experienced what I would call latency. Had one with PT for a year or two with out any issues. In the big scheme of things USB and PS2 use very slow keyboard standards.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-15-2013, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
I've had a wireless keyboard and mouse on my regular desktop for years and not experienced what I would call latency.
What about dropouts? Happened with every wireless KB&M I've ever used. Bugs the crap out of me. Perhaps I've just been unlucky, but I've just never been sold on their reliability. Plus, the idea of having to change batteries at any given moment is not something I like to deal with.

I will keep using a wired mouse and keyboard until they no longer exist. YMMV as always.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 04-15-2013, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
What about dropouts? Happened with every wireless KB&M I've ever used. Bugs the crap out of me. Perhaps I've just been unlucky, but I've just never been sold on their reliability. Plus, the idea of having to change batteries at any given moment is not something I like to deal with.

I will keep using a wired mouse and keyboard until they no longer exist. YMMV as always.
And don't forget about turning off said wireless devices. The wireless qwerty keyboard that came with my iMac eats batteries like crazy if you forget to turn it off. And Apple doesn't say how to turn it off either - you have to figure that out for yourself. I don't use the wireless mouse that came with it as I have a very low opinion of Apple mice wired or wireless.

QAPLA!
Old 04-15-2013, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post

The only time I ever had dropouts was when the battery in the keyboard was dying after a year or so. The mouse recharges in its holder so that wasn't a issue.

I'd have to ask Mac or PC? Macs usually have blue tooth keyboards and the PC type if used normally RF. Usually via USB. My desktop has the receiver build into the mouse charging stand which is only a couple of inches from the keyboards transmitter. The mouse cradle connects via USB or PS2 - I've forgotten. If your using Apple wireless products the battery life is horrible and the being blue tooth I don't think as as robust as RF. I rarely use my Magic Trackpad, Apple Wireless keyboard or MightyMouse with my MBP for this reason. Forget using rechargeable batteries in the Mac stuff as the duty times are even worse. I'd use the Apple Wireless KB all the time if they made one with freaking number pad.

But yeah YMMV.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-15-2013, 05:06 AM

Quote:
The only time I ever had dropouts was when the battery in the keyboard was dying after a year or so. The mouse recharges in its holder so that wasn't a issue.

I'd have to ask Mac or PC? Macs usually have blue tooth keyboards and the PC type if used normally RF. Usually via USB. My desktop has the receiver build into the mouse charging stand which is only a couple of inches from the keyboards transmitter. The mouse cradle connects via USB or PS2 - I've forgotten. If your using Apple wireless products the battery life is horrible and the being blue tooth I don't think as as robust as RF. I rarely use my Magic Trackpad, Apple Wireless keyboard or MightyMouse with my MBP for this reason. Forget using rechargeable batteries in the Mac stuff as the duty times are even worse. I'd use the Apple Wireless KB all the time if they made one with freaking number pad.

But yeah YMMV.
There is an add-on numeric keypad for the Apple wireless qwerty unit but it's NOT an Apple product but it's sold through the Apple Store. Made by LMP, costs $45 US. Has horrible reviews - eats batteries like crazy, doesn't last long before going south, and is made of plastic versus the Apple keyboard which is metal. And a 2 month delivery. Apple wired keyboard with numeric keypad - $49 US and available now.

No drop outs here, even with the keyboard 20+ feet from the computer and through a wall.

QAPLA!
Old 04-15-2013, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
There is an add-on numeric keypad for the Apple wireless qwerty unit but it's NOT an Apple product but it's sold through the Apple Store. Made by LMP, costs $45 US. Has horrible reviews - eats batteries like crazy, doesn't last long before going south, and is made of plastic versus the Apple keyboard which is metal. And a 2 month delivery. Apple wired keyboard with numeric keypad - $49 US and available now.

No drop outs here, even with the keyboard 20+ feet from the computer and through a wall.
I bought the LMP unit on day zero. Its pretty much all its said to be

I have a older wireless G5 style Pro Tool's wireless keyboard. Its fine but weighs about 25 pounds and its very bulky. I really want the same thing in a new style apple quality wireless keyboard. With the LMP crapdapter holding a track pad off the end. The "there will be no wireless keyboard with number pads" was apparently one of apples deceased monarchs decrees. Form should follow function as Louis Sullivan once said. In this case I think we are being denied function by the fashionistas.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

Old 04-15-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
I bought the LMP unit on day zero. Its pretty much all its said to be

I have a older wireless G5 style Pro Tool's wireless keyboard. Its fine but weighs about 25 pounds and its very bulky. I really want the same thing in a new style apple quality wireless keyboard. With the LMP crapdapter holding a track pad off the end. The "there will be no wireless keyboard with number pads" was apparently one of apples deceased monarchs decrees. Form should follow function as Louis Sullivan once said. In this case I think we are being denied function by the fashionistas.
There's a third party option for a wireless keyboard with numeric keypad by Logitech that's Mac specific. No batteries - it's solar powered. But if your studio is on the dark side light-wise then that would be a no go. It also does not use Bluetooth but has it's own connection that plugs into a USB port.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/produc...50-mac?crid=26

And here's another wireless from Logitech but it's a big unit. I have one that's wired on my Mac Mini computer and it's no too bad. Full travel keys and a bunch of re-programmable keys. Usable on both Mac and PC if necessary.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/produc...d-k350?crid=26

QAPLA!
Old 04-15-2013, 08:16 AM

I use the logitech wireless mouse keyboard combo. Not one problem since I've gotten it.

There's a company out there forgot the name, that does keyboards printouts for pro tools that you can stick to your keys, it's color coded too if I remember.

And I've also been interested in trying this out since I saw it

http://dnamusiclabs.com/node/4452

Don't quote me for their views on using large format console that they show in one of their videos though

Wave-T.com
Old 04-15-2013, 10:23 AM

After reading all this I think I might get a wired keyboard, one that is backlit though as I tend to work on sessions more in the dark then I'd care to admit. Although, I will probably get a wireless mouse. For some reason I'd like a wireless one.