Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 12-13-2021, 04:55 PM

Default Using external Mixer

I have a Motu 828es which is an audio interface with its own hardware and application for mixing that I want to use with my PT tracks.

I recorded two tracks of guitars as a raw recording. I now want to send those tracks back out to the mixer and apply the EQ/Gain/Filtering and send back the resulting audio tracks to PT to new tracks in the project.

I am able to route the raw audio from PT to the mixer, and the mixer is doing its thing and outputting back to the computer. I can tap into the output on the mixer console and hear the result.

But when I point the new input for the audio tracks in PT to these mixer outputs, they are not seeing the signal.

I know that I could use software plugins to perform the same mixing function, but I want to use the hardware mixer to offload the computer and because it is easier to control and produces the result I am looking for.

Seems like something straight forward to do, but am I missing a concept here that prevents this?
Old 12-13-2021, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Using external Mixer

You need to set up Hardware Inserts, but I would also advise against unless you have really good DA/AD converters. You will likely get better end results using Avid stock plugins than going external.
Old 12-14-2021, 09:11 AM

What mixer?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-14-2021, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
What mixer?

The MOTU has dedicated console-style mixing DSP beyond the usual low-latency monitoring stuff.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 12-14-2021, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryCalvert View Post
But when I point the new input for the audio tracks in PT to these mixer outputs, they are not seeing the signal.
You still need to either input-enable or record-enable the destination track in Pro Tools to be able to hear it.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 12-15-2021, 08:51 AM

Yes, I have enabled the track I want to record to, but audio is not arriving in PT.
Old 12-15-2021, 08:52 AM

So did you set up Hardware Insert or trying to do it the wrong way?
Old 12-15-2021, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
You need to set up Hardware Inserts, but I would also advise against unless you have really good DA/AD converters. You will likely get better end results using Avid stock plugins than going external.
I am not sure I follow the DA/AD issue. In my case, I have pre-amps that are doing the AD conversion and feeding into the MOTU. So the MOTU mixing console is mixing digital samples, and PT is recording digitized samples.

When PT sends these back to the MOTU, it is receiving an input that it is not doing AD conversion. So in theory, this re-routing of the audio should be transparent to PT. The data that PT is receiving from the MOTU should be in the same format in all the work flows.

This assumes that PT recording of digital audio samples is not converting them to some intermediate format. I am not sure about that, but I thought it did not do conversion at this stage.
Old 12-15-2021, 09:41 AM

I lost you I think.

Whenever you have Hardware Insert set up, there are two or three physical facts you cannot avoid.

First is DA conversion which theoretically takes at least one sample (but in reality much longer) and then you have AD conversion which also theoretically takes at least one sample (but in reality much longer). In between, unless you use analog cable from output to input, the external gear may cause more delay. So you need to measure it and set it up on the IO setup delay compensation page.
Old 12-15-2021, 09:56 AM

He is not talking about hardware inserts off a mixer. He is talking about using the DSP effects built into the MOTU mixer in the interface.

This is all a very bad way to work IMNSHO. If with what seems like small sessions you cannot use native plugins in Pro Tools something else is very wrong—fix it. And faffing around with the limited plugins in the MOTU interface is relatively a PITA and not flexible. These things are designed for low latency monitoring, not to replace DAW plugins

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-15-2021 at 12:00 PM.