Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 09-03-2021, 01:19 PM

Default HELP!! Time machine backup restore nightmare

Hopefully someone can help me out here.

Have been using a bootable carbon copy clone with Yosemite for Protools 11 for a while without incident, until....
Last night when I made the dire mistake of trusting (what was I thinking!) Time Machine backup restore to a version from the previous day.

Have all the time machine backups on a dedicated external drive which now is no longer able to copy anything over. Getting error messages that it needs repair, but can't repair it. Tried first aide, disc repair, etc.

Files still appear on the drive however.

The hard drive has High Sierra, which is working fine, thankfully. That's what I'm on right now.

However, the Carbon copy clone drive is no longer visible on the finder window device window or may have had it's name changed to "untitled".

I need to access the bootable. Luckily I did a backup onto iDrive a few weeks ago, so that's there if I need it.

But I have no idea how to get from point A to point B. What should I do first to remedy the issue of the bootable not working correctly OR should I just focus first on getting the backup files resurrected from the backup drive?

I am running a program called "EaseUS" which is finding a ton of files on what I believe is the bootable (taking a wild guess since it's no longer named by what I gave it previously). It will take an eternity to finish finding the files, but so far I haven't stopped the process.

Should I abandon that process and just do something basic like:

Shut down
Unplug everything
Swap cables
Try a different port
Say a Prayer in hopes that the Carbon Copy Cloner will
miraculously show back up on the device list?

Looking forward to any and all suggestions. Will be checking back for replies.

Thank you!

Lisa

Last edited by soundartsonline; 09-08-2021 at 05:59 AM.
Old 09-06-2021, 02:20 PM

Default Re: HELP!! Time machine backup restore nightmare

In my experience, anything EaseUS should be considered riskware/malware.

Diskwarrior has always been my goto when it comes to Mac drive issues. Anytime I've had a problem with a Mac disk, rebuilding the directory with Diskwarrior solved it.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 09-06-2021, 03:44 PM

Default Re: HELP!! Time machine backup restore nightmare

If the storage has been running High Sierra, it is possible that it is formatted as APFS which pre-HS systems cannot mount. Try it on a current computer so first and foremost you need to know whether your storage is okay or not.

And yes, Disk Warrior has been the way to go. However with that said, even Disk Warrior still does not understand APFS and we need to wait for a new version. Have been waiting for three years already, but hey... whenever it is ready.