Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-03-2013, 02:25 AM

Default Mixing drums

Hi guys and gals,
Just wanted to throw a thread in here to start some discussion regarding mixing techniques. I'm always interested in hearing about other methods that were deamed successful. In this post I would like to invite others to share if you wish successful mixing of drums.

To start off... I will share my go to method. My primary instrument is drums so their sound in recordings has always been very important to me.

I play a Roland TD-9 kit as a midi triggering system to sample any given kit in my Steven Slate Platinum library. I lay the entire kit out onto a single stereo track with the Steven Slate software as an instrument insert. The software enables me to adjust parameters of each drum and cymbal.

I then setup an aux buss with a UAD 1176 limiter with fairly aggressive leveling and route about 30% of the signal to it and leave my output on the actual drum track set to main and the aux bus output set to main.

It gives me a good blend between the drum samples and the squashed send. Of course I can tweak on that all day to make the balance appropriate to the program material. Typically I am looking for a very slammin, lively drum sound as the vast majority of what I mix is rock.

How do you prefer to route your kit through Pro Tools?
Creation Station, Windows 7, Pro Tools 9, Eleven Rack with Bass expansion and Artist Presets, MBox Gen 3, Universal Audio UAD 2 DUO, Blue Sky Monitoring, Presonus HP 4, ART HeadAmp Pro, Presonus Fader Port, Rode NT1-A (2), Primacoustic Voxguard, Ibanez Satriani JS-100, Ibanez SR300M, Wechter Pathmaker, Roland TD-9 Drums, Steven Slate Drums Platinum Library, DW Hardware, Blue Quad, Apogee and Pro Co Cables.