Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2022, 02:23 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools, Virtual Instruments and Program Changes

These videos show that it is possible to control a VSL matrix using program changes in Pro Tools. But since CherryPicker doesn't work on newer operating systems, we cannot do what is shown in the video. And nobody knows how to actually create or edit a midnam file to make it happen for themselves.

Can anybody shed any light on this? Does anybody have a midnam file that changes the cells in a VSL matrix that thy could share?
Old 12-31-2022, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egyptmatta View Post
I couldn't find any info on this except a little in the manual. I am a composer who uses Vienna Ensemble Pro extensively and I am attempting a switch from Cubase to PT but I'm running into a potential issue (at least for me). Articulation/Patch switching particularly with my Spitfire BML libraries. I don't want to do key-switching because I don't want to see that in the score, there isn't anything like Cubase's expression mapping so it won't be easy to know what patch is up via Pro Tools and it means I have to have multiple tracks because there are so many articulations. Ideally I'd be using CC32 / Program Change. Pro Tools has a way to make patch names and everything for it and Spitfire has the whole UACC thing. Why does Pro Tools not allow program changes to virtual instruments and only allows with external midi devices? This doesn't make sense to me. What am I missing? Any solutions or advice? Can this change as it would solve a lot of problems if it caught on?
As I recall, it works very well with virtual instruments. And that's a good feature in PT. I just tried it with BBC from Spifire and it works fine. You simply insert the program number that corresponds to the chosen program in BBC.
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra 2023. 2T. 128 Go. + 2X 4 T NVMe ext.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

• Roland V-Piano, Novation 88
  • Etc.
  • www.claudemarcbourget.com

Last edited by cmbourget; 12-31-2022 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Error
Old 12-31-2022, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafoam_Green View Post
I cannot understand why you (as an existing Cubase "composer") would even consider using Pro Tools with it's primitive MIDI features
What other DAW offers real-time edits as good as in PT? Cubase is not even able to allow a significant delay from one track to another (Cubase is of course excellent in other respects, despite its video game interface...), and PT even calculates them in note length if necessary. The tempo and measure functions are also very good.
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra 2023. 2T. 128 Go. + 2X 4 T NVMe ext.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

• Roland V-Piano, Novation 88
  • Etc.
  • www.claudemarcbourget.com