Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 09-18-2022, 07:21 AM

Default Re: New "Mac Studio" from Apple

yes it is thank you for sharing the video!! I am working mainly with audio what is the general concerns on MAX vs. Ultra for audio work only? I'm thinking the MAX is plenty....
Old 09-18-2022, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved5514 View Post
yes it is thank you for sharing the video!! I am working mainly with audio what is the general concerns on MAX vs. Ultra for audio work only? I'm thinking the MAX is plenty....
Power wise most likely. The caveat being (and I have not run any actual numbers ) that it seems to me most of complaints about fan noise, whine, is being reported by users with the MAX chip????

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 09-18-2022, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved5514 View Post
Are you doing large, multichannel work? Atmos? High channel count?

I'd have to agree with K Roche that a Max is likely plenty, but if you keep your computers for a few years and have the potential for mixing large sessions, even the Max may one day get bogged-down. I'd guess though that a Max would be more than enough for audio w/out VIs.
Old 09-18-2022, 09:15 PM

FWIW, I am using the Ultra for high track count 5.1 film sessions, and high-sampling rate Atmos sessions. The machine appears to be about 3-times the power of my old trashcan (in Rosetta mode), and my current sessions take the user CPU usage in Activity Monitor up to 34% or so. So based on my rough calculation, the Max would work for me, but without much CPU headroom. If CPU power scales linearly, than my sessions would use 68% of a Max, which would be a bummer on a new machine.
Old 09-28-2022, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
FWIW, I am using the Ultra for high track count 5.1 film sessions, and high-sampling rate Atmos sessions. The machine appears to be about 3-times the power of my old trashcan (in Rosetta mode), and my current sessions take the user CPU usage in Activity Monitor up to 34% or so. So based on my rough calculation, the Max would work for me, but without much CPU headroom. If CPU power scales linearly, than my sessions would use 68% of a Max, which would be a bummer on a new machine.
Exactly! M1 chip so slow compared to modern silicone or even 4 year old chips. I regret my M1 Max 64gb purchase. it is not being used at all. I thought it would be my prefered machine but my 16 core is just 2 to 3 times as fast.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 12-26-2022, 05:53 PM

Good day. I am a Pro Tools user.
I am going to buy an Apple M1 Max.
Could somebody recommend me a budget 27" display for it please?
Thanks so much in advance.
JL
Old 12-26-2022, 07:13 PM

The first question is what resolution. Especially what are you used to with Pro Tools today? If say you are using a 5K display you might not like a 4K display. What exact current monitor are you using? Are you going to do things like video calls etc. with this, if so do you want a display with built in video camera and mic?

Some very good/leading choices (starting with prices you likely won't want to pay) are:

Apple 27" Studio Display 5K (Thunderbolt 3) $1499-$1899 (!)
https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Studio-.../dp/B09V3GZD32
Physically well built. Expensive. Insultingly extra cost for the full tilt/lift monitor stand (which I'd get if you want an Apple stand -- but my recommendation with all these monitors is to use a third party Vesa mounting arm that bolts/connects very positively to the table. Especially because they can be more flexible and provide space under the monitor to push back keyboards or better accommodate control surfaces). Camera is a bit better than that in the LG Ultrafine 5K but still not state of the art. About full P3 color space. A bit brighter than the LG Ultrafine, but not as much more noticeable as the specs will seem to claim.

LG UltraFine 5K (Thunderbolt 3) $1,166
https://www.amazon.com/LG-27MD5KL-B-.../dp/B07XV9NQSJ
My main monitor. Had one for years, ever since they were first released. A very nice monitor. A bit wobbly on its standard stand, but comes with a Vesa mount plate. Some screens show "burn-in" ghosting if very bright areas are left on screen for long times AFAIK but it's only temporary (mine does it). Almost full P3 color space. Built in video camera, mic and speakers are not bad dor calls, much better camera than my 2019 MBP but not up with state of the art external cameras. If I need to go really high-end for call video I'll patch in a Nikon Z7 and professional lights, but that's rarely needed and the camera in this monitor is fine for almost all business calls).

LG 27UK850-W 4K (USB-C DisplayPort/DisplayPort/HDMI) ~$489 and below
https://www.amazon.com/LG-27UK850-W-.../dp/B078GVTD9N
This is the monitors we were buying for developers at one of my clients, typically running them dual vertical displays on Vesa mounts and they were much liked. typically running off MacBook Pros. My son bought one based on those experiences. But it's a 4K display not 5K. Has flexible inputs but its USB-C DisplayPort not USB-C Thunderbolt, and for example it does not provide Thunderbolt high power supply for a MacBook Pro, but presumably that does not matter. Only sRGB color space (would be a problem for me say editing photos). Has an external power supply brick, which I don't prefer.

You'll likely find similar spec Dell and HP monitors to this LG one, but be sure to check all specs/features.

- note you can find the LG 27UK850-W at multiple different price points depending who is selling it on Amazon and if it comes with a stand or only a Vesa mount adapter.

I have the 27" LG 5K display and would not swap for the world, I'd buy another to add to it over buying an Apple Studio Monitor just based on the price and stupid extra cost for an adjustable stand. Even if it is more plasticky, I don't care I don't sit there fondling the monitor wishing it was aluminium, I look at it, and the black plastic bezel etc. just disappears. If Apple had just killed it with a stunning quality video camera and without all the extra Center Stage camera fluff I'd might go with a Studio Monitor... since I use these monitors a lot for zoom calls. But Apple kinda screwed the pooch here, it will be interesting to see if they fix the several leading issues with a second gen Studio Display.
Old 12-26-2022, 07:37 PM

JoeLouis, you need to start your own thread instead of camping onto this one.
Old 12-26-2022, 07:52 PM

^^^ Would be great if a mod peeled this off the thread.
Old 01-06-2023, 12:27 AM

Please remember that apple silicon version was released few days ago with 2022.12, how this works for you, mac studio users?