Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2016, 07:53 PM

Default Can't change IO setup loaded at launch - please help!

It seems no matter what I do, the default IO setup is always the same when I launch Pro Tools and create a new session, and I have to remember to select the one I saved every time. The "default" setup isn't even the Pro Tools default, but some wacky IO setup I made for a special project ages ago. Is there some way to forcibly change the IO setup that is loaded when PT launches, so that any time I make a new session, it will automatically get those IO settings?

I'm on Pro Tools HD 10.3.2 on a MacBook Pro running Mavericks. And no, I won't even think about upgrading, so please don't suggest that. Every time I have upgraded PT in the past, I've lost various functionality, or ended up stuck with a bunch of new bugs. Aside from this issue and a couple other minor annoyances, this setup is totally stable, so I don't want to screw with that.

Here's more detailed info about my system in case it helps.

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro10,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 16 GB

Uh oh. That's a bit worrisome. I have 2x4 cores processors. IDK why the system info is saying I have one processor with 4 cores right now. Guess I better try restarting after I send this.

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2016, 07:55 PM

Default Re: Can't change IO setup loaded at launch - please help!

Goto settings and i/o and press default on in and out on all tabs.

And that Macbook have 1 CPU with 4 cores, where did you get 2x4 cores from? There are maybe also 4 virtual cores which isn't important when using PT

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 03-23-2016, 08:14 PM

I can default the settings before or after I create a new session, or even load my desired IO template that I saved. But it doesn't matter what I do after that. When I save the new session with the correct IO setup and quit PT and relaunch it, as soon as it is launched up again, if I go to setup > I/O..., it STILL uses that same old IO template I used that one time ages ago. I can't get rid of it! So if I ever forget to not just choose "Last Used" for IO setup when creating a new session, it will use this old one, and I have to then go in and delete all the outputs, delete all of the IO setup on every tab, and load the correct setup EVERY TIME. It's extremely frustrating. I just want it to keep the template I've been using for years now as the default/"last used" (which IT IS) when I launch PT and create a new session, but it won't let me! I can't stop this old IO setup from being used by default to save my sanity!

Also, I have a 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7. Activity Monitor shows 8 cores. Pro Tools allows me to select up to 8 cores. I just don't know why the system info says I only have 4. Not sure if this is something wrong with my Mac, or if it's normal for system info to only show the *real* cores, and not count the virtual ones.

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2016, 08:16 PM

Uncheck the overwrite i/o settings and that should do it.

Regarding cores i wouldn't bother with it. Setting up cores was only in PT10 so in 11/12 that function isn't there anymore.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 03-23-2016, 08:23 PM

But I am on PT HD 10. I have 6 cores selected in playback engine. It may not be a problem other than the system info showing only 4 cores. That is my only concern. Just wondering if it should say 8 there, but maybe something is wrong.

Okay. I unchecked the box to overwrite i/o settings when sessions are opened. But that still didn't fix it. When I save and quit, and relaunch PT, if I look at Setup > I/O... again, that old IO template is STILL THERE! It simply WILL NOT DIE!
Old 03-23-2016, 08:28 PM

Ahaa damn iphone screen hehe

Thought you were in the PT12 section sorry. Regarding cores the advice has been to use either 3 if a 4 core like yours or 7 if it is a 8 core (not talking virtual)

So I can't help if these steps haven't solved anything. Trashing preferences and databases if the last shot I know but someone here might have had similar issues. We never had that here or heard of that so i am stumped.

Try the trashing of prefs and dbases and restart to see if that helps.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 03-23-2016, 08:34 PM

Yeah, I guess that is not only the last resort, but usually the very first thing Avid/Digidesign always used to recommend whenever anything misbehaved. I usually just try to avoid it unless there is no other way.

Hopefully someone else who had this issue was able to resolve it some other way, and will find this thread and let me know. If I don't hear anything that works in a few days, trashing prefs it is!

Thanks for the help!