Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 07-19-2015, 06:59 PM

Default Setup, Playback Engine defaults to Built-In Microphone

Has anyone else ever run into this? Is there any solution to it? I NEVER want the Playback Engine to be Built-In Microphone - if anything, it should default to Built-In Output when I am not using my Apogee Ensemble IO. But for whatever reason, it defaults to the F*@$ing built-in microphone on my MacBook Pro, which will never work as an audio output, so I have no clue why the Playback Engine would even have it as an option.

Here are my specs, in case this is helpful:

MacBook Pro
Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013
Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Software OS X 10.9.5 (13F34)

Pro Tools 10.3.2
Apogee Ensemble (Firewire) IO

Please help! Thanks!
Old 07-19-2015, 08:12 PM

Default Re: Setup, Playback Engine defaults to Built-In Microphone

first in the list
just remember to hold down the N key when you first launch PT after disconnecting your Ensemble
or even better if you know your not going to use the Ensemble next time before you quit PT, switch it to Line Out then

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 07-19-2015, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
first in the list
just remember to hold down the N key when you first launch PT after disconnecting your Ensemble
or even better if you know your not going to use the Ensemble next time before you quit PT, switch it to Line Out then
OK. I know how to change the output. I'm just wondering why it even lists the built-in microphone as a possible playback engine option, or if there is a way to remove it so it is never an option.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
first in the list
Also, not true about it selecting the first option in the list, because I just had to reboot, and after loading pro tools again, it automatically selected pro tools aggregate I/O, which is the very last item in the list. What's more is that I was using the ensemble before I rebooted, and still had it on and connected when I rebooted, so there was no change to the playback engine settings between the last time I quit pro tools and booting it up this time. Although, before I rebooted I got a message that pro tools unexpectedly quit, so maybe it failed to save the playback engine I had set previously.

Still, what's pain in the ass, since changing the playback engine requires saving, closing and reopening the session.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:11 PM

go to AMS
delete Pro Tools Aggregate from the list
I don't think you can delete hard Apple devices

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 07-23-2015, 01:12 AM

Just to address the bit about it choosing built-in microphone because it is the first entry in the list. As you'll see in the attachment, Ensemble is first in the list, but it still automatically selected built-in microphone for playback engine.

This is really frustrating, considering the built-in microphone doesn't even work as a playback engine. I just wish Pro Tools had a feature to manage potential devices for playback, and would allow me to delete this option permanently.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2015-07-23 at 1.04.49 AM.png (53.3 KB, 0 views)