Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 06-27-2003, 08:05 AM

Default Do I have to do this OMF thing-ey?

As I'm sure many of you already know, I'm finishing a 13minute 35mm short.
I'm doing the sound on my own Digi001 PTLE5.3.1.
Bit of a learning curve for me this, so I'd like to avoid anything too new.
OMFs worry me, but everyone I've asked has said that it's ok for me to just take my PTLE session in to the final mix as a session, and it's not neccessary to export as an OMF if I'm so worried about screwing it up.
- Is that true?
- Can a TDM system simply load up a PTLE session with no hassles?
Regards
Karel
[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-27-2003, 09:31 AM

Default Re: Do I have to do this OMF thing-ey?

If you're just going between Pro Tools systems and not to Avid (ie Media Composer, Symphony, etc.), then yes, all you need to do is bring your session, audio and fade files into the TDM system and they should load fine.
Old 06-27-2003, 08:01 PM

Thought so.
And so I've also been told.
Be like taking an Avid session from one machine to another.
But Zach, purely for the sake of being Pedantic (nothing to do with safety or paranoia), have you actually seen this done?
I worry because there presumably are real differences between a PTLE and a TDM system...
[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-28-2003, 06:34 AM

Unless you have DigiTranslator on your rig you're not going to be able to make an OMF export anyway so don't sweat that part...
When you decide where you're going to mix (I read your other post) ask if you can come in ahead of time with your hard drive and see if everything loads up ok on their TDM system, shouldn't be a big problem as 99% of pro studios would rather know how you are going to deliver ahead of time and help you work things out then have you appear the day of the mix with a nasty suprise under your arm As far as I know and have read it is no problem to load a LE session on a TDM machine (backwards compatabilty with PT's in very solid), but you should check on availability of any plug-ins that you are using that the studio might now have loaded. The biggest difference is that the TDM system will probably have a higher track and voice count and physical outputs than your LE so you might be able to spread your tracks out more for the mix.
Good Luck!
Old 06-28-2003, 07:37 AM

Are you going Mac -> Mac or PC -> Mac? If you are doing the later, it is a little more complicated.
Old 06-28-2003, 08:08 PM

Hi Karel, just to put your mind at rest - I have many times taken a post sound session from PTLE to TDM with no problems.
Old 06-29-2003, 02:08 AM

Many thanks. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
That really puts my mind at ease.
Yes, certainly will talk to studio first!
I'm on PC here, and don't know which platform I'll be going to. If it's a Mac I'll post again.
Regards
Karel
[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-29-2003, 02:41 AM

Actually Who (who?), now I stop to think about it, even if I'm not going to a Mac, it would be good to know - for future reference - just what exactly is more complicated about taking a PC PTLE session to Mac TDM?
Will certainly need to know one day.
Or will it all be different with PTLE6.1?
[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-29-2003, 04:48 AM

One thing that must be said is that if you have RTAS plug-ins that have TDM equivalents they will be replaced by these TDM equivalents when you open your session on a TDM system, even if the RTAS counterparts are installed in the TDM system too. (Wow, what language!) If you have RTAS plug-ins with no TDM counterpart after these, they'll be inactive.

However, as you should have been a good boy and remained just editing and not messing with plugins (since you can't tell in an editing room how they'll sound in a mix), you shouldn't have problems like these.

RTAS->TDM. Saw 5 projects do that this year alone. From PTLE 5.2 to PT-TDM 5.1.1 MIXPlus. Not a glitch, except the above.
Old 06-29-2003, 08:31 AM

If you're confident with your submixes, then it's a good idea to bounce your stems into multiple 5.1 files and set up your protools session as several 5.1 tracks, just for ease of use and problem avoidance. That way you strip away any possible conflicts of missing plug-ins or output assignments, what have you.
IMDB