Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2023, 03:22 PM

Default How to Copy/paste incomplete timecode numbers in main counter?

Often times, when working with directors on films, I get mix change notes with incomplete timecodes.

For instance, instead of sending me a timecode like this: 00:47:30:14, they will forget the first 2 digits and type it like this: 47:30:14

That's fine, but when I am sent time codes without the first 2 digits, I cannot copy/paste that timecode into Pro Tools main counter. Pro Tools will only accept a full time code number to paste in.

Is there any way to paste an incomplete timecode into Pro Tools main counter or do I only have the option to type it in? Hope that makes sense.
Old 05-21-2023, 09:36 PM

Default Re: How to Copy/paste incomplete timecode numbers in main counter?

Maybe you know this trick, but you can hit * on the numerical pad, and then use the arrow keys to move to the digit you want to change and type.

I've gotten pretty damn quick at jumping to a code.

Almost always leave the frame denominator to 00. Just needs to be close most of the time.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2023, 06:18 AM

I don’t think PT likes incomplete timecode, last I checked. I too find it easier just to type it in. Would usually involve the mouse to copy which is a hassle. In addition to "*" to attention the timecode counter you can use the "." key to input double 00's.
Old 05-22-2023, 05:22 PM

I get that a lot. If there aren't too many notes, copy the text :00 and click at the end of each string and paste. Then you have clickable and copyable full timecode.

Or just get really fast at reading and typing it. Not too hard w/ a numeric pad.
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
www.ToolshedAudioPost.com
www.TheToolshedStudio.com
Certified for Dolby Atmos Home Entertainment
Old 05-22-2023, 06:08 PM

Possibly write a small routine in Keyboard Maestro?
Old 05-22-2023, 08:19 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I want to try and stay away from typing when there are a bunch of notes. But for smaller notes I can definitely just type out the timecode.

One thing I did discover is that apps like chatgpt can do this really quickly. So larger edit requests, I'll use chatgpt. Hopefully this helps out anyone else in a similar situation.
Old 05-24-2023, 11:39 AM

Use a macro to type the numbers, not paste the numbers. It will fill from right to left and you should be ok, assuming you're in the same hour.

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 05-24-2023, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryst View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I want to try and stay away from typing when there are a bunch of notes. But for smaller notes I can definitely just type out the timecode.

One thing I did discover is that apps like chatgpt can do this really quickly. So larger edit requests, I'll use chatgpt. Hopefully this helps out anyone else in a similar situation.
How does ChatGPT type in the TC for note locations into Pro Tools?
Old 05-24-2023, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
How does ChatGPT type in the TC for note locations into Pro Tools?
It doesn't. I tell Chat GPT or Notion to convert the numbers in a list of notes into timecode, and it spits it back out in seconds and adds the 00 at the beginning of each number that most directors I work with seem not to add. From there I copy/paste the new time code into Pro tools as I'm working my way through the mix changes. I won't do this for shorter notes but when there are a bunch of them, it certainly helps.
Old 05-31-2023, 11:38 PM

thats a great tip. i tend to get lists of notes with no colon 01254103 for example.. I'm sure AI will cope!