Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 10-26-2008, 08:20 PM

Default usb midi contoller hookup to 002 rack

i have a usb powered midi controller (m-audio keyrig-49) how do i hook it up to my 002 rack? it has no midi i/o so i cant hook it up to the rack. i have to hook up the usb from the midi controller to my computer. how do i get pro tools to recognize it? any ideas? any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 10-27-2008, 07:20 AM

Default Re: usb midi contoller hookup to 002 rack

As long as it is installed properly following the manufacturer's instructions and with the latest drivers from the manufacturer, Pro Tools will recognize the USB device as a MIDI input. The USB connection on USB controllers is the MIDI I/O.

All you need to do is select it as the MIDI input on whatever track you are trying to control.

If it doesn't appear in Pro Tools as a MIDI input, then it isn't installed/working correctly at the operating system level.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 10-27-2008, 08:43 PM

i am pretty sure i have it installed properly it seems like a routing problem. my inputs are set to ALL. the mini keyboard on the track works but i cant get the controller to register. it should be so easy i feel like im missing something simple. anyone have a usb midi controller and a 002 rack. thanks for the last post i did need to register my controller but im still having issues.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanternes View Post
the mini keyboard on the track works but i cant get the controller to register.
Did you record arm the track?
Quote:
it should be so easy i feel like im missing something simple.
Did you record arm the track?

Quote:
anyone have a usb midi controller and a 002 rack.
I have multiple USB controllers and use them with the 002R every day. As long as the drivers are installed properly, and you are setting up the tracks properly (record arm, select "All" or the specific controller as MIDI input, etc), that's all you really need to do.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 10-28-2008, 03:08 PM

Have you enabled it as an input in PT?
In Setup/Midi/Input Devices.

Also check your windows hardware list, if it's there but won't appear in PT try restarting computer with the controller on.
For some reason PT occasionally can't find my M-Audio 88 keyboard unless is on during boot.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by original_min View Post
Have you enabled it as an input in PT?
In Setup/Midi/Input Devices.
To use USB keyboard controllers, you don't have to do this. This step should be used when using MIDI 'machine control' devices

Old 10-28-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedGuy View Post
To use USB keyboard controllers, you don't have to do this. This step should be used when using MIDI 'machine control' devices
Well I don't know what to say SeedGuy, except 'you're wrong'.

Go to Pro Tools Setup/ Midi/ Input devices, disable whatever you have and you won't have any midi input.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:49 PM

thanks for the help everyone! it turns out that the usb port i had it plugged into didnt like my m-audio keyrig 49 i called tech support and it wasnt in the game controller and sound devices in device manager so i plugged it in to another usb port and now it works. first i had it plugged into the usb in the back of my tower now its plugged into the front. weird!! thanks again everyone for your advice
Old 10-29-2008, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by original_min View Post
Well I don't know what to say SeedGuy, except 'you're wrong'.

Go to Pro Tools Setup/ Midi/ Input devices, disable whatever you have and you won't have any midi input.
Yea, I was thinking about the I/O>Peripherals>MIDI Control tab that a lot of people think they need to set up. My apologies.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:39 AM

I had an issue with my keyrig 49 too dude even though apparently it's meant to be "plug and play" - yeah right...

I had to download the driver off the m-audio website and then when prompted via the "found new hardware" wizard, point the wizard to the downloaded driver file. If you let windows just do it's thing, the keyrig will power up via usb but it won't be recognized as a midi input device.