Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 07-14-2017, 01:51 AM

Default Re: Loudness - short term max?

got it working now thanks- i had the auto on ( which was auto reset )

it is good in that its easier to see exactly the integrated LUFS or LKFS if reworking a loud scene

- seems like the WLM loudness meter would tend to go over since the long term based on the last how many (gated?) seconds that have passed thru it.

I may have to buy this one.. still have a week to decide before demo expires.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:26 AM

On long form content there are only two pass/fail criteria, integrated loudness for the whole programme, in this case -23 LUFS (±0.5 LU), and maximum true peak level which is specified as -1 dBTP, although the EBU transmission spec specified a maximum of -3dBTP to protect lossy codecs so I tend to deliver with a max true peak of -3. There is no maximum momentary or short term loudness for long form content. There is an addition to the EBU R128 spec for short form content, less than a minute, to cover ads, trails etc which does add a maximum short term loudness of -18LUFS but that is only for short form content.

The ±0.5 LU tolerance is typical for post production content, as we can always tweak it afterwards. The UK DPP spec allows a ±2 LU tolerance for live mixes, but anything that is not live should hit the ±0.5 LU tolerance.

So go ahead and mix, don't worry about short term and momentary loudness levels in terms of delivery spec concerns, they are useful guides in the mix process and do the job.

If you would like to learn more about loudness workflows then check out my loudness tutorial series.

Hope that helps,

Mike
Old 07-16-2017, 08:30 AM

That's the first I've heard of the -18 momentary/short addition for short-form content. Does anybody know if that's been incorporated into U.S. standards as well?
Custom i9-12900K, 64GB RAM, W10 Pro, PT Ultimate 2024.03, HD Native, OMNI, Digi 192, UAD-2 Octo; Mac Pro 12-core 3.46, 64GB RAM, Mojave, Logic Pro 10.5.1, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Quad, MOTU 2408 Mk II: MBP mid-2012, 16GB RAM, Mojave, MOTU 8-Pre-ES, Pro Tools 2021.7
Old 07-17-2017, 02:34 AM

thanks for the clarification Mike.. I have been watching and monitoring a lot of TV shows now - is quite informative.

client have confirmed they want 23 +/- 2dB

now having a meeting with the internal ethics committee - do I knowingly supply that - or adhere more strictly to the +/- 0.5 R128?

they might need me to remix in a couple of years should they manage to sell this monstrosity on? Not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing?

I checked with a colleague in the area and he said it would be broadcast in analog..... which perhaps explains the -9dBFS limit.