Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2006, 08:25 PM

Default DSP capacity problem on TDM Mix 24

I am running 6.4.1 TDM mix. I have a dual processor mac 1.25 ghz Power PC G4 with 1.5 GB DDR SDRAM. My TDM system has a core mix card, three mix cards, and a smaller dsp card. 4 cards in all. My interfaces are twp adat bridges and an 882.

Problem is - I have use of an extremely low amount of DSP processing power. I should have considerably more considering the 3 mix cards and single DSP card. I check the "system usage" option and find that cards 3 and 4 are not showing much usage. Only 76 of 256 TDM slots show usage. I did see when I clicked on the mix card name that many of the open space show that 100% has been allocated, yet I am not using them.

HOW can I increase my DSP power with my current configuration. I had much more DSP power on my previous single processor 867 ghz, with only two mix cards.

By the way, buffer size H/W and DAE, nor CPU usage limit adjustments seem to help the problem.

WHAT SHOULD I DO? [email protected]
Old 12-16-2006, 08:36 PM

Default Re: DSP capacity problem on TDM Mix 24

Quote:
My TDM system has a core mix card, three mix cards, and a smaller dsp card. 4 cards in all.
Either your math is incorrect, or your system description is incorrect. One (1) MIX Core card plus three (3) MIX FARM cards plus one (1) DSP Farm card equals five (5) cards. Since you don't mention an expansion chassis, I suspect that you have one (1) MIX Core card, two (2) MIX Farm cards, and one (1) DSP Farm card. That would give you four (4) cards total. Is that correct?
Quote:
Problem is - I have use of an extremely low amount of DSP processing power. I should have considerably more considering the 3 mix cards and single DSP card. I check the "system usage" option and find that cards 3 and 4 are not showing much usage. Only 76 of 256 TDM slots show usage.
The number of TDM slots used depends upon session characteristics (number of tracks, plug-ins, etc.)
Quote:
I did see when I clicked on the mix card name that many of the open space show that 100% has been allocated, yet I am not using them.
When you click on the name of a card in the system usage window, you allocate all of the chips on that card. This is why it shows that 100% has been allocated. When you open the system usage window, do not click on any of the gauges that represent each chip or the name of the card, otherwise the chip will be allocated, and therefore unavailable for any other process.
Quote:
HOW can I increase my DSP power with my current configuration. I had much more DSP power on my previous single processor 867 ghz, with only two mix cards.
I think you can do this by not clicking on the chips or card names in the system usage window, based upon your previous description.
Quote:
By the way, buffer size H/W and DAE, nor CPU usage limit adjustments seem to help the problem.
This can vary. Typical settings are 128 sample H/W buffer, DAE Level 2, 85% CPU usage.