Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2015, 03:50 PM

Default Cutting out background noise from my vocal track

Hey what's up u guys. Basically here's my question, I jus started recording on protools 11 and I immediately noticed a problem. When I'm recording vocals, I'll put on the headphones so I can hear the music (like most artists). However, the music from the headphones somehow gets captured on the vocal track that I am recording from. So basically the microphone picks up the music that is coming from my headphone and that music ends up showing up on the track I use just 4 vocals. So therefore I was wondering does anyone have any tips on how I can cut out the background noise from my headphones so that someone can just hear from vocals?
Old 03-04-2015, 03:54 PM

Default Re: Cutting out background noise from my vocal track

Quote:
Originally Posted by loyaltmuzik View Post
Hey what's up u guys. Basically here's my question, I jus started recording on protools 11 and I immediately noticed a problem. When I'm recording vocals, I'll put on the headphones so I can hear the music (like most artists). However, the music from the headphones somehow gets captured on the vocal track that I am recording from. So basically the microphone picks up the music that is coming from my headphone and that music ends up showing up on the track I use just 4 vocals. So therefore I was wondering does anyone have any tips on how I can cut out the background noise from my headphones so that someone can just hear from vocals?
Use Closed ear headphones that don't bleed and turn down the headphone mix. Also try using earbuds and then put those uncomfortable, but effective over the top of them. Then you hear nothing thru the mic.
http://www.pksafety.com/ulearqmbyhow...FU1ffgodRaYAAA

OR HERE FOR THE EAR STUFF: https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 03-04-2015, 03:56 PM

Short answer is turn the headphones down (save your ears!) What kind of headphones? Open-ear phones are of course going to leak thru to the mic a lot worse than closed-ear phones.
Now, depending on how you have things routed...are you accidentally sending the OUTPUT of the instrumental track back to the INPUT? I'd like to know more about your equipment list and routing protocol to see if that's what's happening, or is it really strictly headphone bleed?
Old 03-05-2015, 08:25 AM

Back in the day that was kinda of normal. Turn it down.

Fender Strats, Ibanez Acoustic, Ibanez Bass, Ibanez Electric.

http://www.johnackermusic.com/
[email protected]

Live and Let Live
Old 03-05-2015, 08:45 AM

Couple other things: How close to the Mic are you? What Kind of Mic are you using? How Hot is the Mic compared to the distance and volume of your head wielding the headphones?

All these things will have an effect on bleed, experiment…it's what makes this craft so wonderful.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:46 AM

+1^
Fender Strats, Ibanez Acoustic, Ibanez Bass, Ibanez Electric.

http://www.johnackermusic.com/
[email protected]

Live and Let Live