Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2001, 12:47 AM

Default Re: A true Digidesign Solution for Laptops

But when are we going to get a Powerbook solution with v5.1 software that worked like v4.3.1 Powermix with the VX Pocket ?

We have clients for whom this loss is more than a real pain.

One of our clients makes radio progs on location and transmits them live from Protools on a G3 Bronze Powerbook via ISDN from all over the world. Their kit fits into a case that can be carried onto the plane as hand baggage so anymore boxes is out of it!!

I have had to produce a cobble together with Protools Free outputting via the VX Pocket and input via the Mac inputs and cannot upgrade their studio machines to v5.1 as they cannot cope with Save Session Copy In and keep the correct sessions!!.

Please please please sort this out Digi NOW.

Thanks,

------------------
Mike Thornton
One Stop Digital (OSD) Ltd.
http://www.osd-uk.com
Old 05-29-2001, 02:47 PM

"limiting yourselves to Digidesign products is a bit religious in 2001, isn't it ?
on a Windows laptop you can crank out and mix 24 effortless tracks of audio on what ever plane you're on...Cubase and Logic may miss the rock-solidity of PT, but boy, are they creative tools. Did you check out what SONAR or NUENDO does - on a standard PC !?"

Why limit yourself to a PC? All this can be done on a mac laptop, platform has nothing to do with it.

Digi, a "real" portable solution would be nice - since you're not addressing what customers want, I may have to look at a different audio app next time I upgrade...

Mike
Old 05-29-2001, 08:00 PM

Firewire is NOT faster than SCSI. the latest SCSI is 160 MBytes/S X 8 Bits/byte = 1280 Mbits vs. firewire @ 400 Mbits.

same princible applies to modem downlaods. connect at 43K DL at 4.3k (8 data 1 parity 1 stop bits, 10/1 ratio)
Old 05-30-2001, 09:16 PM

I think you guys are missing the point from Digi's point of view. They once had a solution and got rid of it. They don't want people using the product unless they invest in TDM. It's not very hard to allow protools to work with any sound card. Free tools already does it. Digi builds one high end product and then cripples it to make it fit the market. SOLUTION. I suggest that anyone who owns a TDM system be given a "dongle" or some such thing that would allow them to use a NON-crippled version on a single laptop. Non transferable unless you sell your TDM system. Because we already paid for the TDM and we all know Digi can get the software to do it!
Old 11-11-2001, 12:32 AM

PowerMix 5.x is absolutely needed.

ProTools Free is garbage for post-production, and the Magma expansion is not portable. A Magma and notebook is only slighty smaller to carry than a 13 inch monitor and a G4 and hardware. That's not portable like a single laptop.

Sound Dogs engineering staff says that I should just get Nuendo and use OMF. They seem to think that there will be a mass migration to Steinberg Nuendo for this small fact alone.

The idea is to do the big work on the big system, and do the small fixes on the laptop. Maybe Digi people need to haul a big PT system back and forth from home on a weekly basis to find out how little fun cartage is.

Rob Nokes
SOUNDDOGS.COM
87,729 SOUND FX, MUSIC, AND SAMPLES ONLINE
Old 11-14-2001, 11:12 AM

"PowerMix 5.x is absolutely needed."

Amen.
Old 11-17-2001, 02:13 AM

[hey devoted to digi user
buy a 001 and magma 2 slot with a hard drive in it and hope yr not in possesion of blade cutters and they'll let you carry it all on
the only answer

be safe and in love with the decisions you make
Seagate Ultrawide scsi drive 70GB (x4)
OSX 10.3.7
PT LE 6.4cs9
Old 11-17-2001, 02:21 AM

sorry
despite all the techie ness of this conversationk, and dspite the fact its not digi approved
a PBook G3 4 er 500 with the magma and running clean of course is easy and usable trust me

i have other members of fancy pants indy labels behind me

just understand yr cpu and work within limitations

good luck my friend
Seagate Ultrawide scsi drive 70GB (x4)
OSX 10.3.7
PT LE 6.4cs9
Old 11-17-2001, 09:54 AM

Dear Digidesign,

it´s fine that we can use now our laptop with an expansionboard, but what I really need is to have ProTools with more than 8 tracks and 24 bit WITHOUT any hardware. (btw I love ProToolsFree).

In recordingsessions its not unusual to use three computers, e.g. 1 Mix-Rig to record and two other Computers to edit. Because we can use LogicAudio on all of our computers with and without additional hardware, ProTools stays untouched very often.