Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 05-04-2011, 07:46 PM

Default Help needed with 'dinosaur' of a TDM system

Hi,

I'm a longtime user of Pro Tools on PCs mostly (even as far back as Session 8!), but only the USB hardware (Mbox/M-Audio) at home, or TDM systems already up and running in proper studios.

I recently had the opportunity to pick up a bargain on an old, but complete TDM system, which includes 888 and 882 Audio Interfaces, 2 x DSP Farm PCI cards, and a Disk I/O PCI card (and all the cabling).

It also came with a PowerMac G3 however this wasn't working. After reading on these forums that this TDM system also works on a PowerMac G4 with OSX 10.3, I picked one up on eBay for $20! Another Bargain!

I own Pro Tools 9, but I've read this old hardware doesn't support anything past 6.4.1, so I purchased this via the Avid Store. It's installed fine.....

However.....

With all the PCI cards installed, the PT software installed, and the 888 interface only connected to one of the cards, I get the dreaded 'Unable to locate digidesign hardware' error message.... I also tried connecting to the other PCI cards with no luck.

Am I missing a stage in the process of setting this system up? I've inserted the PCI cards, installed Pro Tools 6.4.1 software, hooked up the 888 interface and turned it on, and fired up Pro Tools.

Is it that simple, or am I missing a step along the way???

Any help and advice would be appreciated..

Mike
Old 05-04-2011, 07:53 PM

Default Re: Help needed with 'dinosaur' of a TDM system

Do you have all the documentation? My first thought is card order....Older systems were really picky about the order of the cards in which slots inside the computer.

Did you run Digitest? Does it see the cards and hardware?
Old 05-04-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springthing View Post
Hi,

I'm a longtime user of Pro Tools on PCs mostly (even as far back as Session 8!), but only the USB hardware (Mbox/M-Audio) at home, or TDM systems already up and running in proper studios.

I recently had the opportunity to pick up a bargain on an old, but complete TDM system, which includes 888 and 882 Audio Interfaces, 2 x DSP Farm PCI cards, and a Disk I/O PCI card (and all the cabling).

It also came with a PowerMac G3 however this wasn't working. After reading on these forums that this TDM system also works on a PowerMac G4 with OSX 10.3, I picked one up on eBay for $20! Another Bargain!

I own Pro Tools 9, but I've read this old hardware doesn't support anything past 6.4.1, so I purchased this via the Avid Store. It's installed fine.....

However.....

With all the PCI cards installed, the PT software installed, and the 888 interface only connected to one of the cards, I get the dreaded 'Unable to locate digidesign hardware' error message.... I also tried connecting to the other PCI cards with no luck.

Am I missing a stage in the process of setting this system up? I've inserted the PCI cards, installed Pro Tools 6.4.1 software, hooked up the 888 interface and turned it on, and fired up Pro Tools.

Is it that simple, or am I missing a step along the way???

Any help and advice would be appreciated..

Mike
I'm no MIX era maven but don't you need at least one MIX core card? I was under the impression that the Farm cards were equivalent to a HD Process card.

John Toolbox seems to have a good handle on what MIX era components play nice together. Hopefully he will see this thread and chime in.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 05-04-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashville View Post
Do you have all the documentation? My first thought is card order....Older systems were really picky about the order of the cards in which slots inside the computer.

Did you run Digitest? Does it see the cards and hardware?
No documentation cam with it, though I should search through the Digidesign archives to see if they have something on setting up early TDM systems.

I wasn't aware there was a Digitest app. Is this an additional download or is it buried in the Pro Tools application folder somewhere?
Old 05-04-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
I'm no MIX era maven but don't you need at least one MIX core card? I was under the impression that the Farm cards were equivalent to a HD Process card.

John Toolbox seems to have a good handle on what MIX era components play nice together. Hopefully he will see this thread and chime in.
This is the sort of thing I am hoping to find out. I assumed there was nothing else required as this WAS a fully working system on the G3, before I got it. So it shouldn't need anything else....
Old 05-04-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springthing View Post
This is the sort of thing I am hoping to find out. I assumed there was nothing else required as this WAS a fully working system on the G3, before I got it. So it shouldn't need anything else....
I could very well be wrong.

Note: I wanted to go to the www3 Digi archive site and am now taken to the Avid Audio main page. If you click "Legacy Digidesign Support" you simply get directed back to the main Avid Audio page.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 05-04-2011, 08:58 PM

Make sure your cards are in the correct order and the hardware is connected to the core card (look for a 442 port for the synch box).

test with DigiTest which should be in your Pro Tools utility folder...

Start up holding down the N key to setup your hardware.

Make sure you select the correct 888 version.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 05-04-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Jon Rogut View Post
Make sure your cards are in the correct order and the hardware is connected to the core card (look for a 442 port for the synch box).

test with DigiTest which should be in your Pro Tools utility folder...

Start up holding down the N key to setup your hardware.

Make sure you select the correct 888 version.

Rail
Thanks Rail. I'll give all these a try
Old 05-04-2011, 09:42 PM

http://archive.digidesign.com/support/

You might want to save this to your favorites.

And a thank you to the person that sent me the link.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

Old 05-04-2011, 10:27 PM

I may be wrong but I think Disk I/O card is PT3 hardware

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig