Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-26-2013, 09:07 AM
musicman691 musicman691 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Sopranos State (NJ)
Posts: 18,551
Default HUI clarification

I see HUI control surfaces are in the 'not supported' specs section for PT 11. If indeed this passes what about all those who have HUI surfaces like a Mackie, Presonus Faderport, SSL AWS 900/924/948 - Matrix - Duality - Nucleus consoles and surfaces? Out of luck? Or a case of 'it may work, it may not'? I'd imagine there's a bunch of pro studios that have some type of HUI console, particularly the SSL pieces that are watching what Avid does and are not looking forward to scrapping what they have for an Icon or System 5 no matter the integration with PT.

In a recent podcast from Pro Tools Expert Russ and the guys talked about what Avid does to put things in certain areas of supported/not supported/not work. They mentioned something about Avid takes into account whether something would work across the entire Avid product line and not just ProTools - true or not? That would explain why some things seems out of place in the 'not supported' section.
__________________
Jack
See profile for system details
iMac dead & retired as of 11/4/17

QAPLA!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-26-2013, 09:13 AM
Bruce Paine's Avatar
Bruce Paine Bruce Paine is offline
Admin Emeritus
 
Join Date: Apr 1998
Location: Carmel, CA
Posts: 2,824
Default Re: HUI clarification

3rd party control surfaces that use the HUI protocol are listed in the preliminary system requirements under this category:
Not Officially Supported (Untested)

Not under this category:
Not Compatible (Will Not Work)

What that means is that they are not part of the official qualification test grid for Avid engineering.
__________________
Bruce Paine
System Details
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-26-2013, 11:50 AM
musicman691 musicman691 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Sopranos State (NJ)
Posts: 18,551
Default Re: HUI clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Paine View Post
3rd party control surfaces that use the HUI protocol are listed in the preliminary system requirements under this category:
Not Officially Supported (Untested)

Not under this category:
Not Compatible (Will Not Work)

What that means is that they are not part of the official qualification test grid for Avid engineering.
I understand what the categories mean. But I guess the question really should be is Avid going to do anything to break HUI controllers from working with PT11 or is it going to be like they (Avid) have said where won't do anything to keep third party interfaces from working in PT11? Same situation with HUI?

Breaking HUI could put a lot of people out of sorts that aren't working with Icon or System 5 controllers.
__________________
Jack
See profile for system details
iMac dead & retired as of 11/4/17

QAPLA!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-26-2013, 02:59 PM
Dave Lang Dave Lang is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Posts: 621
Default Re: HUI clarification

Best thing I guess is to wait and see. Probably not. But we can't expect Avid to test every peripheral out there, especially if it's something they don't sell.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-26-2013, 05:44 PM
Bill Denton Bill Denton is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 2,644
Default Re: HUI clarification

I'm not totally surprised to see HUI go, as it is such an old and limited protocol.

What does surprise me is thad Avid has not announced support for Mackie Control Universal (MCU), a more modern and robust protocol.

And most of the control surfaces that support HUI also support MCU.

I certainly hope Avid is not dropping third-party control surface support as it could well push a lot of the guys with the Dualitys and AWS consoles out of the Pro Tools camp...
__________________
X
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-27-2013, 03:57 AM
musicman691 musicman691 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Sopranos State (NJ)
Posts: 18,551
Default Re: HUI clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lang View Post
Best thing I guess is to wait and see. Probably not. But we can't expect Avid to test every peripheral out there, especially if it's something they don't sell.
It's not so much a matter of testing every control surface out there but does PT11 have or will it ever have HUI and MCU program support (are there even hooks in the programming for HUI/MCU)? If it doesn't then I can see either what Bill Denton says about people jumping ship on PT or they'll just stay with PT10 and possibly use VEPro for their 64 bit needs.
__________________
Jack
See profile for system details
iMac dead & retired as of 11/4/17

QAPLA!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-27-2013, 04:42 AM
ChrisSimon ChrisSimon is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: D-54518 Heidweiler, Germany
Posts: 166
Default Re: HUI clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
I'm not totally surprised to see HUI go, as it is such an old and limited protocol.

What does surprise me is thad Avid has not announced support for Mackie Control Universal (MCU), a more modern and robust protocol.

And most of the control surfaces that support HUI also support MCU.

I certainly hope Avid is not dropping third-party control surface support as it could well push a lot of the guys with the Dualitys and AWS consoles out of the Pro Tools camp...
+1
...and Yamaha consoles like DM2000 etc also...;-))
__________________
---
Chris Simon

www.TwinMusic.de
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-27-2013, 06:44 AM
Audioartist Audioartist is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 343
Default Re: HUI clarification

Does every HUI surface really need to be tested?
Can it be that it is more like MIDI.. you don´t have to test every keyboard that is to be connected to protools.

Are certain MIDI keyboards or HUI controllers more buggy than others?

Maybe it´s just a standard set of commands that it is up to protools to handle.

My DM2000 works really great with PT except that PT sometimes crashes when I go to controlling aux sends from DM2000, I am thinking it is because HUI was developed when PT only had five sends.
Is this isolated to just Yamaha HUI or most HUI controllers?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-27-2013, 06:51 AM
ChrisSimon ChrisSimon is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: D-54518 Heidweiler, Germany
Posts: 166
Default Re: HUI clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioartist View Post
Does every HUI surface really need to be tested?
Can it be that it is more like MIDI.. you don´t have to test every keyboard that is to be connected to protools.

Are certain MIDI keyboards or HUI controllers more buggy than others?

Maybe it´s just a standard set of commands that it is up to protools to handle.

My DM2000 works really great with PT except that PT sometimes crashes when I go to controlling aux sends from DM2000, I am thinking it is because HUI was developed when PT only had five sends.
Is this isolated to just Yamaha HUI or most HUI controllers?
I think, if HUI itself will work, most of the controllers will do their work...
Hopefully AVID doesn't cancel HUI as Protocol...!!!!
__________________
---
Chris Simon

www.TwinMusic.de
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-27-2013, 12:57 PM
Hugh-H Hugh-H is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 213
Default Re: HUI clarification

Hello,

Avid does not need to test every HUI controller out there, they just need to test that HUI works appropriately. And they have stated they aren't going to do that by putting it in the "unsupported" category.

HUI is an outdated, slow, somewhat pathetic protocol. And it's very widely used because it's the only protocol that third party controllers can use to access PT. MCU is several steps up in protocol efficiency although still limited, but PT does not support that. Eucon is supported by PT but Avid will not license Eucon to third party controllers, only to third party software developers. So there will be no Eucon controllers from other companies until Avid changes that.

Starting with PT11 you'll only be able to use Avid controllers if you want to use a supported setup. HUI may or may not work correctly.

Hugh
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to Mac, need clarification ejwells macOS 5 01-24-2011 01:55 PM
Need Some Help/Clarification zeeman Artist Series 12 11-18-2010 01:58 PM
CPU and RAM clarification olliegreen 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 3 04-29-2008 12:50 AM
Clarification on ADC ajs Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 0 08-10-2004 01:54 AM
clarification the585 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 1 11-28-2002 08:44 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:11 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com