Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2008, 02:05 AM

Default What should I use the Raptor Drive for? Recording?System? OR

I recently completely updated my system from an overcooking Pentinum D (Blah) to an Quad core that Im in love with ...lol Anyway Im always looking to upgrade piece by piece and have been thinking about purchasing an Raptor drive. I currently have three sata drives at the moment that work fine, but ive just been eager to check out the raptor. If I buy just one where would I see the difference best? If its use as a recording drive? System drive? or the drive that I pull most of my samples from?

Or should I wait and purchase two?
Old 05-27-2008, 08:25 AM

Default Re: What should I use the Raptor Drive for? Recording?System? OR

i recently bought 3 of these (raptor-x 150gb) drives. 1 for system, and 2 for audio. i definitely DO see a performance increase, BUT it is NOT a huge walloping difference over my 7200rpm SATAs that are much larger capacity. If you already run the 7200rpm SATAs dont bother with the "upgrade" unless you are ready to plunk down more $$$ than the performance increase will justify. Just a bit of advice. If you buy one just to check out to see if you want 2 or 3 more, use it as your AUDIO drive if you are recording more than 8 audio tracks at a time. If not, use it as your sample or system drive.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:52 PM

Default Re: What should I use the Raptor Drive for? Recording?System

Agree with everything xodiac has said.

I find that the best place for computer hardware is www.newegg.com I have purchased 99% of my computer hardware from this site, and have always been satisfied by their prices, service, and selection.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:30 AM

Ok. Thanks. Im having second thoughts now. I think Ill wait to the drive price and capacity start to even up before I plunge. Especially since my system seems to be working with no issues.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:31 AM

Ok. Thanks. Im having second thoughts now. I think Ill wait to the drive price and capacity start to even up before I plunge. Especially since my system seems to be working with no issues.