Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 09-30-2002, 07:18 PM

Default Where are all the softsynths for PTLE?

I am disappointed with the overall lack of RTAS synths. I've tried Sampletank and found that it just isn't as tweekable as something like Reason, etc. The N.I. Collection is a $1000. I mean the TDM folks have the Bruno/Reso, Access Virus and now look what else I found. This is available as 3 for $300!

http://www.winecountrysequential.com/softsy nth.html

I am new to ProTools and have little to bitch about. Musically speaking, the Mbox is the greatest thing that's happened to me in a while. I just have not read any other complaints about this and thought maybe I am the only one...

P.S. - Here's cool little Korg due out next week. Just like the 2000 model but with a vocoder + mic and some dance presets. Goes for about $400 but far from RTAS...

http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?A_PROD_ NO=microKORG

-Chris

P.S. Okay so I don't think the Sequential Circuits are RTAS, but still it's another that I cannot use. I guess the grass is always greener...
Old 09-30-2002, 07:49 PM

Default Re: Where are all the softsynths for PTLE?

Go check out CYCLE 74,,they have a product called PLUGGO3,,down load the demo and try it out,,its full of FX from the sublime to the ridculouse including some very usable soft synths,,no real samplers as such,,but you might want to go check out the BITHEADZ site look for UNITYSESSION,,all of these are RTAS,,,
Old 09-30-2002, 07:50 PM

I agree - there is a need for more Rtas softsynths.

And It doesnt say much for digidesign that there own Software sampler doesnt support Rtas.

Nocturnal
Old 09-30-2002, 07:59 PM

i'm pretty sure you can use all the Native Instruments synths using DirectConnect.

if you're into Reason, you can link it to PT via reFuse.
Old 09-30-2002, 08:05 PM

Hi,

I have Reason and reFuse and it works well for what it is. I doubt that the two applications could ever work any better together. reFuse is worth $30. Thanks for the tip; I will check out bitheads stuff.

http://www.vintagesynth.org/

-Chris

P.S. My Moogerfooger bundle is my best synth for PT right now!
Old 10-01-2002, 11:48 AM

Here's the synths/sampler/drum machines that work with protools via direct connect :

Native Instruments

Pro-53
B4
Battery
Reactor
Kontakt

Bitheadz (OS X native aswell)

Retro AS-1 v2 / Unity AS-1 v3
Unity DS-1
Unity Session v3

Koblo

Vibra 1000
Vibra 6000
Vibra 9000
Stella

Here's the one's that work with RTAS, this means sub 10ms latency :

Bitheadz (OS X native aswell)

Retro AS-1 v2 / Unity AS-1 v3
Unity DS-1
Unity Session v3

These all work via a plug-in that links to synth engine so they have stereo outputs for each midi channel you can put on seperate audio/aux tracks.

Native Instruments

Protools Edition (Pro-52, B4, Battery)

WAY overpriced bundle of the RTAS versions of their synths that should come in the same box as the normal versions so you don't have shell out so much, infact it's so expensive you can buy 2 copies of each included synth on their own as individual synths with a little shopping around.

IK Multimedia

Sampletank RTAS

I think this is pretty good but no use as a sampler till you can create you're own patches, I believe this is coming in version 2

As you can see there's a lot of software synths for protools already, they all their quirks and they all have their bad points but I'd just love it if some of TDM plug-in companies would club together and make a hardware/software solution for LE users so we can have Virus etc... instead of having to buy the rack or keyboard versions.
Old 10-02-2002, 12:33 AM

You can do almost anything other softsynths offer with reaktor: Sampling, Virtual Analog, FM, granular, Wavesequencing, esoteric drum machine's with step sequencers and multiple oscillators flexing multiple synthesis methods simultaneously....etc....
You could probably find some pc for like $300 to run it with and grab a sound blaster, run the digital outs to pt's digital ins. Or you could use your mac which is running pro tools.

If your creative you could do everything with just one or two softsynths, you definately don't need to spend thousands on them. But if your on a tight budget its very important that you pick the right one for your workflow.
i.e. if you are a real tweaker, and know how to program a dx and what a modultion matrix is get reaktor and if you don't know what the hell I'm talking about get reason, because its a more stable app. and it has a great UI.
Old 10-02-2002, 12:59 AM

Yeah, but DirectConnect is a mess, isn't it? Seems like N.I. and the others just used it as an afterthought. If only we could get those Swedes over to California; in ProTools land...
-Chris
Old 10-02-2002, 10:45 AM

I really like the look and feel of Reason (though they need to make its interface much bigger on the screen). Most of all, I love the sounds you can easily make from it. One of my favorite features is the Matrix, a really fun monophonic device. Reason claims that such a device never really existed in reality, but I swear I saw a sequencer by ARP that does (did) the same thing.

I have tried the demo version of Reaktor, and being a gear junkie, I would go out and buy it today if it was an RTAS plug-in. On the other hand, I found it had a very steep learning curve. Whether or not this may reward itself with deeper or fatter sounds I have yet to know...

I run my setup through a Powerbook, and an Mbox. My goal is to not have any extra stomp boxes etc. and just use software. Heck, if that was the case I would be searching for an old Prophet-5 or something!

Thanks,
Chris