Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 07-28-2003, 09:54 PM

Default Ableton Live 2.1 as Rewire Slave in Pro Tools 6.1???

Does anyone know the best way to run Ableton Live 2.1 and Pro Tools 6.1 together? I've been told that most people run Ableton as a Rewire Slave in Pro Tools. Is that the way to go?

I installed both Pro Tools 6.1 and Ableton Live 2.1 today. I fired up Pro Tools 1st, then Live. Live showed up in my Inserts section, just like it was supposed to. When I set it to stereo I heard the outputs of Live coming into my Digi002. It was Great!

I'm just a little confused on where to go from here. What are the possibilities? I'm not sure if I grasp the whole concept of Rewire. I've been saying that I would like to be able to separate tracks in Live directly to Pro Tools for editing. I think this is what Rewire is all about, but I'm unsure how to do this.

Any tech. heads out there that got this whole Rewire thing down and can help a brother out?

Thanks!!!
Old 07-29-2003, 02:06 AM

Default Re: Ableton Live 2.1 as Rewire Slave in Pro Tools 6.1???

its simple - midi goes out of protools into live and audio comes back from live into protools................. i think - ive never used it.
Old 07-29-2003, 07:06 AM

You'll find the skinny on it right here...
http://www.ableton.com/index.php?mai...iveandprotools
There are many ways to work with Live. One way is to assign a PT insert for each bus out of Live and process tracks with ProTools Plugs. Use soft synths/samplers in PT.
Very powerful combo.
Cheers,
J
Old 07-29-2003, 07:16 AM

Cool.

I read that article and it was helpful. I just have to figure out how to assign the output of different tracks in Live to the input of different tracks in Pro Tools.

I see that Live is accesed through the Inserts in Pro Tools and that you can pick Stereo L & R or Bus 1-16. I just have to find out how to assign the tracks in Live.

If anyone has any insight, please let me know.

Thanks Again!
Old 07-29-2003, 03:36 PM

When Live is open in Rewire Slave mode, in the Mix window on each track you will see a little pull down menu that says MASTER. If you click on it you will see a list MASTER, BUS 3/4, BUS 5/6, ETC.
Choose your outs to PT here.
In PT choose the appropriate on each aux track you assign to LIVE.
Cheers,
J