Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 03-02-2014, 09:17 AM

Default Understanding ilok/pro tools re-sale and license transfer in full...help appreciated

Hey all,

It's been a while since I've posted but I have a question for y'all that I can't seem to find the answer to. I've searched the threads and have learned part of the process but not the whole thing.

I am in the process of possibly buying a second hand mbox 3 which will include the interface, full PT9 install software set, and original ilok that came with the package which the current owner has registered with a bundled PT 9/10 license (he payed to upgrade to 10.)

I DO have an ilok account that I've set up in preparation for this purchase, and I understand the license transfer fee and process from reading these forums. My questions are as follows:

1.) regarding the ilok, is there any other process the seller will need to take to make sure the ilok itself gets registered to me so that I can link it with my computer and the newly aquired hardware? He has agreed to transfer the PT license after sale, but how can I be assured the ilok will be changeable to become mine, under my account with my computer?

2.) given the fact that he has payed to upgrade to 10, and I should in theory be the new owner of that license after transfer, will I have any problems installing PT 10? It's my understanding that I cannot re-register that upgrade with avid under my name, so will I not be able to download updated as necessary?

Anyone with extensive experience with this process would be welcome to chime in. I just want to understand any issues or limitations fully before pulling the trigger and buying.

Thank you in advance.

Dan