Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 10:09 AM

Default Digidesign Databases

Can anyone explain to me what is going on with Digidesign Databases?

Everytime I connect a USB drive to my HD box, PT creates a directory called "Digidesign Databases" In this directory there is a file "volume.ddb"

What is this used for? Is it necessary? Can I just delete the directory on my portable drives? Can I delete this directory on my main system drive?

Thanks,

-Andres
Old 09-18-2007, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Digidesign Databases

You can delete the Database folder on any drive and it will be recreated the next time PT launch's,

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 09-18-2007, 05:33 PM

Default Re: Digidesign Databases

It's like the plague, it's every where and infects everything. Anything that you have plugged into your computer when you start Protools will have that useless folder on it. I've had it on my flash drives, my iPod, my cell phone, it's probably on my mouse, printer, and my iLok too!

I wish Digi would get rid of that stupid function and just let you specify the one or two, and ONLY one or two drives that you want Protools to read and write from. I hate having useless folders on my drives. It's like walking into a mic closet to get one mic, and one cable, and having to untangle fifty three others just to get that one. It's a mess, it's not clean and organized, and I don't like it.

They do it so that those drives will be mapped to the Protools Explorer utility, but Protools WON'T EVEN RECORD TO A FLASH DRIVE!!!. It comes up as an invalid audio drive when you try to record or bounce to it. Why put the folder there, if it's INVALID????

C'mon Digi, let's get some house keeping done, can we?