Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2001, 11:38 AM

Default SSC: Cutting off the HiHat lift

I know I've missed something. In every sampler I've had before, including Unity (God rest it's soul), there was a way to cut off the sound of a HiHat open (lift) sample with a closed hi hat sample. But I've been through the manual and can't figure it out, anybody?

see12
Old 09-09-2001, 06:08 PM

Default Re: SSC: Cutting off the HiHat lift

I think I did this with an S900 and the idea does work with sound modules.

If a open hat and a closed hat are assigned to the same voice or output and the sound is monophonic.
When an open hat is playing at say 100 and a close hat comes in at say 20 ( very low ) then the close hat will sleal the voice and the open will stop.
If the closed comes in at 100 then again it will steal the voice and you will hear a closed hat.

Am I heading in the right direction?
Old 09-10-2001, 07:12 AM
Avid

Place the hi hat samples on their own instrument, then set the instrument to mono under misc. This will have the hi hats cut each other off. There are examples of this with the Ross Garfield drums on the SSC disc.
Old 09-14-2001, 11:35 AM

Thanks Kev & digimidi, this works fine.

I am hoping that Digi will recognize the subtle nuance of letting a hit hat hit ring out naturally. Unity, for all the problems I encountered, did allow you to select a sample and designate another sample as it's cut off. This allows the other hits to ring. Seems like a small thing to bitch about? Maybe. But after bothering to carefully record 5 levels of HH's, of varying looseness, closed mic'd and with overheads into Pro Tool @ 24 bits, carefully utilizing Fatso to smooth out the sound, and taking 3 days to get it right, it's disappointing to lose this subtle quality. Seems like an over the top approach to triggered HH's. Maybe. But this is why someone would bother to own SSC, or they might still be still using the 12 bit samples from his S900 of ten years ago...
It would be great to have this feature in the future.
Not to mention the advantages of recording the HH as part of a complete set, laid out on your keyboard.

see12