Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2009, 09:16 PM

Default HELP..Does general midi work in PT ver8???

HI ,

Have an Mbox 2 and have upgraded to an LE Pro tools ver 8.

My old keyboard, which has general midi worked with my old PT ver 6.8

but i cannot get it to work on ver 8.

Do i need to buy a new deticated midi keyboard.
I have spent the whole of the last two nights trying to set it up and to no
avail.
Can someone please help.

Thanks in advanced

Joe from Sydney.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:46 PM

Default Re: HELP..Does general midi work in PT ver8???

I have the same problem and have not been able to get an answer.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:59 PM

How is it not working?
Can you send or receive MIDI to/from the keyboard?
What kind of keyboard?
Since you pointed out "general midi", does this mean that you are having trouble selecting patches from ProTools?
What platform.. Mac or peecee?
Old 05-20-2009, 11:04 PM

Well in my case I am using a Roland XP50 Mbox 2 and hi end PC. I can use the keyboard for plugins no problems and get sound from Xpand etc. With midi files I get activity from the meters in both mix view and edit view however no sound and it does not appear to me that it is sending the message to the keyboard.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:49 PM

Thanks for all your responses thus far!

Following step by step with the tutorial to set up a midi track etc. when i select an instrumnet such as Xpand, or one of the organs no signal comes thru when i hit the keys.
Also when i go create a midi control, i put in Yamaha... then none because it does not display my keyboard (as it's really just a cheap old keyboard that has cheesy sounds and also has midi I/O.) since it's not just a midi keyboard, adn select all channels and when i go to input and output i can only select NONE as my keyboard is not showing..i also do go through and tick Midi thru.

Was thinking maybe since my keyboard (approx 7 years old) is just an old synth/keyboard which also has midi that's why PT8 cant detect it...

thinking i have to get a new midi only keyboard..Do i??
Old 05-21-2009, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by u182155 View Post
Well in my case I am using a Roland XP50 Mbox 2 and hi end PC. I can use the keyboard for plugins no problems and get sound from Xpand etc. With midi files I get activity from the meters in both mix view and edit view however no sound and it does not appear to me that it is sending the message to the keyboard.
How is the keyboard connected? If MIDI cables, then you need 2 cables, one going in each direction.. If USB, then you need to take a look at your MIDI studio Setup or whatever it is called on windoze.. I can't really help you with MSS setup.. It is possible you might need a driver if you are using USB..

You also need to have the audio outputs of the keyboard connected to the ins on your Mbox. MIDI is not audio.. It is only instructions for a synth to make audio. Your synth also might need to be configured to respond to the incoming MIDI. Typically you would want to turn "local control" off, so that the synth portion of your keyboard only responds to MIDI coming in, not from the built-in keys..

It is still unclear what you are trying to do...

Record MIDI in ProTools from the Roland?
Record Audio? Both? It sounds like the only connection that is working is MIDI from the keyboard to ProTools... Does that sound right?

What kind of tracks do you have set up in PT? Are these the ones you say you are getting activity on the meters?
Old 05-21-2009, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejud View Post
Thanks for all your responses thus far!

Following step by step with the tutorial to set up a midi track etc. when i select an instrumnet such as Xpand, or one of the organs no signal comes thru when i hit the keys.
Also when i go create a midi control, i put in Yamaha... then none because it does not display my keyboard (as it's really just a cheap old keyboard that has cheesy sounds and also has midi I/O.) since it's not just a midi keyboard, adn select all channels and when i go to input and output i can only select NONE as my keyboard is not showing..i also do go through and tick Midi thru.
What OS??? Mac or peecee???

I am confused.. Do you have a Yamaha keyboard or something else? If you are trying to make a MIDI device in AMS (Mac) or MSS (peecee) and you are configuring it incorrectly, then you might be preventing it from working at that level..

If you are using a MIDI track, then it's Input Selector should just be left at "all"

If you are using an Inst track, then you should go to View>Mix Window> and make sure Instruments is checked. This lets you see the MIDI portion of an Inst track. Once you can see it, make sure the MIDI Input Selector is set to "all"

Another thing to check is Setup>MIDI>Input Devices... And see what is there.

If you can't get the keyboard setup in AMS or MSS, then it is better to not have an incorrectly configured device in there at all. Just delete it. Then, as long as nothing is "connected" to your MBOX MIDI input in AMS or MSS you should have the option on a ProTools MIDI track to select:

Predefined>MBOX Port 1 > all channels

as your MIDI input. What this means is that ProTools will just listen to that port and accept MIDI from whatever is physically connected to it, without anything having to be configured in AMS or MSS.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:05 AM

The problem might be that there are 2 of us with a similar problem. My keyboard is roland xp50 with 2 midi cables going to the mbox 2, 2 audio cables also going to mbox 2.

In my i/o I have I set to all and then out set to the individual channels of the mbox 2, it says mbox 2 (emulated). I get activity on the meters in both mix view and edit view however no audio coming from keyboard and the keyboard is set to local off..

I have fiddled with this for weeks and am ready to give up. The problem is I have stacks of GM midi files I have used as backing for years and now I can't.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by u182155 View Post
The problem might be that there are 2 of us with a similar problem. My keyboard is roland xp50 with 2 midi cables going to the mbox 2, 2 audio cables also going to mbox 2.

In my i/o I have I set to all and then out set to the individual channels of the mbox 2, it says mbox 2 (emulated). I get activity on the meters in both mix view and edit view however no audio coming from keyboard and the keyboard is set to local off..

I have fiddled with this for weeks and am ready to give up. The problem is I have stacks of GM midi files I have used as backing for years and now I can't.
Quote:
out set to the individual channels of the mbox 2, it says mbox 2 (emulated).
I'm curious why you are already sending midi out to the port directly and not to the xp50. That is usually a way to get things working when you can't configure your device is MSS for some reason. Have you tried to set it up in MSS? ProTools appears to have installed a .midnam file for the xp50 on my system so I would expect it to have done the same for you.

It doesn't matter that you get activity in mix and edit at the same time. It should do that. BUt what kind of tracks are you using? (I already asked you this) How are you bringing the audio into protools? (trying to anyway)
Old 05-22-2009, 02:31 AM

Not sure if I understand the question however the output method is a single stereo aux track. I now have the input as all and the output as the xP50 and then each individual channel.

Hope that makes sense