Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 10-18-2021, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Apple MacoBook Pro M1 Pro & M1 Max!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakhead View Post
but a notch in the screen for the camera ?!
wtf is their design team thinking ?
it's possibly the most idiotic design flaw Apple have ever come up with, and they've certainly been a consistent provider.
any faves ?

I'd rather have an ugly clip-on camera than that. remember those ?
absolute deal killer for me.
and what happens to menus in that area ?
imagine watching a fullscreen movie with a notch in the top.

p.s. I like the title of this thread . . . "Macobook", except it should be changed to "Wackobook".
I don't get the fuss about the notch. The area on either side of the notch is actually "just" for the menubar. macOS 12 will avoid it. Full screen video will be below the notch area and the top 1/4' of screen will simply be blacked out. So what the notch really allows is the same screen real estate as full screen WITH a menubar above.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 10-18-2021, 04:22 PM

Default Re: Apple MacoBook Pro M1 Pro & M1 Max!

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivekerry View Post
It's great, but 64 GB of RAM still isn't enough for serious sampled-orchestral scoring, so looks like I'll keep waiting for a silicon Mac Pro, so that maybe we'll have the ability to boost the RAM
Actually since I embraced the wonders of the Disabled VE Pro template, I've not gone anywhere close to 64gb in years. So when Steinberg / VSL finally do away with the need for their dongle, the all-in-one solution will finally be here.

The new aluminium wonder is a lot of money, but since it can be desktop and mobile rig combined, it doesn't seem too crazy. Unfortunately my 2015 is still working well so can't justify the expense, unless it were to meet with some kind of unfortunate accident which meant I could no longer ty

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 10-18-2021, 05:28 PM

Default Re: Apple MacBook Pro M1 Pro & M1 Max!

Many of the earlier gripes are actually non-starter "issues"; anti-Apple/Avid rage, but not real-world issues, and kind of a stretch. The advantage of the edge-to-edge screen will outweigh the occasional awkwardness of a center notch 99.9% of the time. PT will be native-compatible soon enough. 32GB is a helluva lot of ram for a laptop -- anyone needing more may be better suited for a desktop for reasons beyond ram.
Old 10-18-2021, 06:01 PM

I’m looking forward to upgrading when pro tools is compatible. I’m currently using a 2019 mbp with 64gb ram as my main studio computer and portable station. I mix films and tv shows in 5.1 and it works great without running out of power. It is connected via thunderbolt to pci e chassis for hdx and runs 3 monitors. I elevated it and turned off turbo boost and it is quiet. Much quieter than the hdx chassis and hd I/o.

I’m never going back to a tower. Much cheaper and I take it home every night after work.
Old 10-18-2021, 06:38 PM

during Apple's event today for the new MacBook Pro they finally revealed the notched camera while Apple customers reacted with interest.
unfortunately the desktop area hiding beneath the notch was not revealed, nor were the following questions :

why is the notch about 2" wide, even though the camera isn't ? (image)
is it so users can still comfortably put a piece of tape over the camera for assured privacy ?
will the mouse/trackpad cursor hit the notch and stop, and then will the user have to manually navigate around the notch, or will the cursor automatically go around while hugging the edges, or even go underneath ?
if it goes underneath what might it find there, and possibly trigger unbeknownst to the user ?
will it spawn an entire generation of sub-notch malware ? (something benign such as the sound of a mousetrap perhaps or a muffled squeak ?)
will floating plugin windows bump into the notch, autowrap-with-distortion, or go under - with an auto-side-pop-up displaying what you're missing?
will notch-MacBook owners be wondering what other mac users are enjoying underneath that effn' notch ?
or will they need to buy an external monitor in order to find out ?
and will Apple offer notched and also non-notched external 5K monitors for clamshell mode ? (after all you don't need 2 cameras, or do you?)
if you purchased one notched, and one non-notched - would you put your Mix Window or your Edit Window on the notched monitor ?
or perhaps the Dolby Atmos Renderer ?
and why ?
would putting the least significant window on the notched monitor be an admission that the notch in fact sucks ?

so many questions . .

Last edited by Tweakhead; 10-18-2021 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-18-2021, 07:14 PM

Pre-installed with Monterey, I wonder how long Avid will take to support this OS...
16 Core
96 GB ram
macOS Ventura 13.4
Somehow, musicians are now technicians!
Old 10-18-2021, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinky View Post
Pre-installed with Monterey, I wonder how long Avid will take to support this OS...
I've been using PT on Big Sur on the main rig for a long time, and have been testing Monterey for about a month and not noticing much of a difference -- hopefully this is an indicator of Monterey support. Or you could downgrade to Big Sur.
Old 10-19-2021, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
I've been using PT on Big Sur on the main rig for a long time, and have been testing Monterey for about a month and not noticing much of a difference -- hopefully this is an indicator of Monterey support. Or you could downgrade to Big Sur.
Unless Apple have recently changed their policies, you can't downgrade from the initially installed system. For instance, you can't run OS X Yosemite on a 2019 Intel Mac. The new machines will be able to run Monterey and above until support is eventually dropped.
Old 10-19-2021, 01:29 AM

I’ve just ordered the 14” M1 Pro Max with 64gb ram and 2TB ssd. Currently I’m in the process of selling my 2019 Mac Pro 16 core. The geek bench results are showing similar cpu power to that of a 12 core which for me is more than plenty.

I work with lots of sampled instrument libraries and can vouch that I never got even close to using anywhere of the additional 150gb plus of ram on the Mac Pro. Users of the M1 MacBook Air and MacBook Pro’s have reported that with the m1 chips, the 8gb ram version is more like 16gb ram in an intel macbook. With this in mind the 64gb ram should feel more like 128gb ram intel macs.

Also the ssd is 7.5gb per sec which is why I went for the 2tb model as my bottleneck were the loading of pro tools sessions. Can’t wait for it to arrive
Old 10-19-2021, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinky View Post
Not too worried about Avid building native M1 app. I would be happy to run under rosetta2 fully compatible in BigSur. As of now Protools does not support the video engine on M1 macs
The minute they release a fully BigSur compatible (including video engine) and Carbon support I will be all in! My current MBP 2019 8-core i9 is getting a bit long in the tooth