Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-23-2006, 11:40 AM

Default Soft Synth Latency Issues

Hello all.

I am posting this here also, because I believe this issue not to be specific to M-Powered, and a solution to an LE system problem of the same sort very well could work on a M-Powered system.

I am running MP 7 on my system. I am trying to use the East-West Symphonic Orchestra Silver addition as a soft-synth in a very small and smiple session (basically 1 or 2 tracks - One of which is the Instrument track for the Synth). I am experiencing quite a bit of latency when doing so. I understand that in general when you are tracking it is best to se H/W buffer low and then set higher when simply in the Mixing stage. Since I am using an Instrument track where the synth is being triggered in real time, even in mixing mode, I am unsure of what to set it too. It seems to have the same problem regradless. What makes things even more complicated is that fact that the synth uses the Kompakt Player which has its own buffer settings and Direct-From-Disk streaming settings. Finding the right combination is proving to be very difficult. I realize there is probably alot on this site already about these types of issues, however I am an engineering student and I WISH I had the time to spend to look through hours and hours of posts to find them. Does anyone have any ideas of how to set this issue up to work better? Perhaps some of you can give me a link to other posts or sites with solutions. My system profile is as follows:

G5 Dual 2.7
OS X 10.4.4
2.5 GB RAM
External Seagate Recording Firewire drive. 200GB
M-Audio Audiophile 192 interface
M-Audio Oxygen 8 keyboard controller
M-Powered 7.0
East-West Symphonic Orchestra-Silver Edition

Thank you for your time
Johnny
Old 01-23-2006, 12:59 PM

Default Re: Soft Synth Latency Issues

While you're recording, keep the buffer small, for low monitoring latency. When you're not recording audio or MIDI, the buffer size can be big (which frees up a lot of CPU.)

Old 01-23-2006, 06:16 PM

I understand that method. My question is do the same rules apply when i am have not yet converted the midi playing the synth to audio yet?? In other words if i am going to mix without coverting my soft synths to audio what is the recommened setting since these synths clearly tax the system more then mixing strictly with audio?

Johnny
Old 01-23-2006, 11:23 PM

bump
Old 01-24-2006, 03:20 AM

Where is your Silver library?
I went to my 2nd internal s-ata drive and the NI DFD worked much better than from an external FW drive. (EWSO Gold)
The below if from the NI web site although I'm not sure if silver accesses preferences as Kontakt does.
----
Native-instruments web site:
"DFD settings for KONTAKT/KOMPAKT:
If DFD does not work smoothly on your system and you have more than 1 GB of RAM installed we suggest the following: In the DFD options, change to expert settings. Set BOTH buffers to 600 and the maximum voices to between 90 and 128.
Due to the fact that every computer has its individual configuration (amount of RAM, built in hard disk cache, drivers...) we recommend to experiment with the expert settings a little bit to find out individually which setting works best for your respective system. On systems with lower RAM you can try to reduce the amount of maximum voices."
Old 01-24-2006, 05:24 AM

Its actually on my system drive, not my recording drive. I guess that could be part of the problem being on the same drive as PT....hmmmmm. I didnt think of that. Maybe that is what's up? Thanx for the info
Old 01-24-2006, 06:28 AM

Quote:
I understand that method. My question is do the same rules apply when i am have not yet converted the midi playing the synth to audio yet?? In other words if i am going to mix without coverting my soft synths to audio what is the recommened setting since these synths clearly tax the system more then mixing strictly with audio?

Johnny
The same 'rules' apply. A small buffer size is only useful for providing low monitoring latency. So, when you're not depending on monitoring through Pro Tools to hear what you're playing or singing, you don't need a small buffer size.