Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 03-10-2021, 10:18 AM

Default Re: Seeking advice on new (used) HDX card

GSharp is outstanding! I dealt with him once again last week. He is top notch!!
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:47 AM

Thanks for the kind words Marti et al.

Your apogees will work just fine. You'll want to make sure firmware is updated on them and you'll need at least one mini digilink adapter, depending on how you have them connected to the card.

They will "fail" digitest only to the extent that digitest tests the connection and interaction with the interface (digitest knows it's not really an avid i/o even though I/O setup doesn't). You CAN digitest without an i/o attached at all. I would say run it both ways. A good card should definitely pass with no i/o attached and with the apogees attached you should get a 'failed' result but only on 'loopback test'. All dsp's etc should show good.

As to your mac pro, even a 4,1 without the flash will run HDX just fine. I've never seen any difference either way and age of the card has never mattered. For higher OS uprgades you are correct that you'll need 5,1 firmware and possibly a metal graphics card, depending on how high you want to with the OS.

Hope that info helps.

G#
Old 04-14-2021, 06:08 AM

Thanks so much for this info! Not sure why I am only seeing this now. This is super helpful, and answers pretty much every question I had about all this stuff, and more (I always wondered whether Pro Tools/DigiTest would know that the Apogee X-HD connection wasn't *really* an HD I/O...)
Old 04-14-2021, 06:16 AM

It is called reverse engineering. 3rd party interfaces make themselves look like DigiDesign 192 or Avid HD
Old 04-14-2021, 09:30 AM

I've been waiting on buying a card. And actually have a line on a decent local deal on an HDX card I was going to pickup. But I was just checking the system requirements for Pro Tools 2021, and I am not seeing High Sierra being supported. I have a spare 2009 Mac Pro cheesegrater I had flashed up to 5,1 and have High Sierra installed. But unless I'm mistaken, or missing something, doesn't seem like I'll be able to run the 2021 version of Pro Tools on this machine with High Sierra. Is that correct...??
Old 04-14-2021, 09:38 AM

Right, you'll need to add a metal compatible graphics cards and upgrade to at least Mojave.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:53 AM

Thanks for the replies. I guess I had seen that info about the metal compatible card for Mojave as I was doing the flash to 5,1. But at the time I was operating under the assumption that I'd be good with High Sierra...

Any tips on the most reliable metal compatible card I should look for to pop into a 2009 5,1 Mac Pro? I'm seeing some posts with people saying they had issues with some cards... Thanks so much for the tips!