Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2001, 03:56 AM

Default I´d like to HEAR your stuff...

There´s been so many great conversations about recording and getting good sounds on Digi 001, that I would like to hear those recordings.

Please post some sites where these can be heard. Your own bands, projects you have recorded and/or mixed etc.Include data on how it was recorded and mixed ( using 001 or other such as Logic or something ). If you want to, you could also include a list of the mics used etc...

I will post some of the songs we have done, as soon as our web pages are ready.

Many thanks in advance, hope to hear from you all soon...
Old 08-21-2001, 05:47 AM

Default Re: I´d like to HEAR your stuff...

At my MP3 site, I have the first tune I ever recorded with PTLE ... it's called "Scheherezade." Whipped it together in under two hours. It's undermodulated, the drum machine sounds less than wonderful and the mix is bad, but it shows how easy PTLE is to use/learn.
www.mp3.com/billcarroll
Old 08-21-2001, 05:53 AM

At my MP3 site, I have the first tune I ever recorded with PTLE ... it's called "Scheherezade." Whipped it together in under two hours. It's undermodulated, the drum machine sounds less than wonderful and the mix is bad, but it shows how easy PTLE is to use/learn.
www.mp3.com/billcarroll
Old 08-21-2001, 06:23 AM

Thanks Billy!

Liked your stuff. Done in under 2 hours? You really must have had your song figured out before hitting rec. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-21-2001, 09:09 AM

Others?
Old 08-21-2001, 04:06 PM

you can check out my ampcast page...
www.ampcast.com/vegadark

The stuff at the top is the newest, and only the tracks with the DIGI001 logo are dione with protools... The rest were before that.
Old 08-21-2001, 07:13 PM

Everything I've done at www.outlandishrecording.com is on the 001. In my opinion the best track is by the band The Juniper Strain. I've always had problems with muddiness in the low end but I got the stuff decent with that band. Others are decent, but sometimes I would accidentally bury the kick. Also, one band had a beater for the bottom snare - ahh! (see if you can tell me which one).

[ August 21, 2001: Message edited by: MonologueBlue ]
Old 08-21-2001, 07:25 PM

Here are some projects I worked on:

This is a band named Jerkstore: www.mp3.com/JerkStoreOfficial

Band by the name of Reckless Eddy www.recklesseddy.com/sound/sound.htm

Band by the name of Vertigo: http://www.vertigoparty.com/downloads.htm

All were done in the basement of my house with the exception of Jerkstore which was done in my basement and the basements of two other friends of mine.

Drums were all done with 57's on the toms, a beta 57 on the snare and beta 52 on the kick with the exception of Jerkstore which used AKG D112's for the kicks. Overhead mics were AKG C1000's and hat mic was either a C1000 or some cheap $100 Audio Technica condenser.

Guitar mics were a Shure PE66L and AKG C1000 both mic'd perpendicular to the cone of the speaker just off of the grill of the speaker cabinet. Each mic was placed to capture certain characteristics of the speaker. The Shure was placed a little closer to the outside of the speaker to capture more low frequencies while the C1000 was used a little closer to the middle of the speaker to get more of the highs.

The vocal mic was a RODE NT-2 (I've since moved up to a Shure KSM44 which I love [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img])

All drum verbs were D-Verb as were some vocal verbs. The main vocal verb was a Alesis Quadraverb 2 used via the lightpipe to keep the signal digital.

These were my three earliest projects. A little rough but I've learned a lot in the process and my stuff now is much better as a result.

Hope you don't think they suck too bad.
Old 08-22-2001, 12:33 AM

Fired at MP3.com

Don't bother listening to the "live" recordings. They are just live off the board into an ADAT, and have nothing to do with Pro Tools.

The music on the album "Do You Hear The Rock" is my first completed Pro Tools LE project. I did not get it mastered. They are the mixes exactly as they came out of "Bounce to Disk" in PTLE, then normalized in a stereo WAV editor.

Guitars:

All electrics are a Squire Strat with my own custom pickup configuration. All electrics are played through Line6 POD2.

There is an Ibanez 12 string acoustic, and an Applause 6 string acoustic. Both were recorded to 2 tracks using a Senhieser e835s and an Oktava MK-319.

Bass - 1974 Fender Telecaster - DiMarzio model P and J pickups - played through the Guitar POD2 using the "tube preamp" model.

Keyboards - L/R outputs of keyboard directly to two tracks of PTLE.

Vocals - MK-319, SM-58, and e835s. Any or all mics might be heard on any particular track. Some vocals were performed twice for doubling.

Drums:

Kick - AKG D112
Snare - Sennheiser e835s
Overheads - e835s (2 used)
Toms - SM-57 (3 used)
Hi-Hat - SM-58
Room - Peavy model PV (absolute garbage mic!)

Alesis ADAT XT20 and Mackie 1604VLZ also used for additional I/O capability.

Only Digirack plugins and D-Verb used. No external effects or third party plug-ins. Some of the electric guitars have POD effects on them.

Mike
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs
Old 08-22-2001, 03:03 AM

MonoBlue,
I really think the band ows it to themselves to hear some Deep Turtle ( I think something can be found via net ). The stereo image gets confusing toward the ending, maybe it´s the overheads panned too far apart. Also, I found the overall sound to be on the light side. Then again, I could pick instruments out of the mix, so it´s not all that bad.
I tend to mix too bass heavy, so I guess all things in the universe get balanced.

MikeD,
The song by Jerkstore has a nice sound indeed. Good job. Pretty nice stereo image. Somewhat Korn-ish, though. I think the song could use a tad more low end ( only a bit, so as not to muddy it up ( see, I really like heavy bottom )). Nice drum sounds, too. You must have had some acoustic treatment done in the basement where you tracked them, or then you´re really lucky to have a great sounding space at your disposal... Is it only me, or are the guitars really "bitey" at around 2 kHz? Not that it´s wrong or bad, since they don´t step on the vocal. Then again, it could be my monitors...

BTW, I´m in no position to say if anybody´s mix sucks, so I try not to do that. I´m just airing my thoughts, and if anybody thinks I shouldn´t do that, please drop me a note.

I guess what I´m trying to accomplish here is a thread in which we all can evaluate and share our opinions on other peoples work. The art of recording and/or mixing is a very intense artistic process, on which it´s hard to pass judgement.

The reason I want people to include info on their gear, is that at best it shows how to create good music under less than perfect circumstances, and to prove the point that enthusiasm and knowledge gets you further than good pieces of equipment. Reason # 2 could be that I´m a gear slut
[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Anyway, keep ém coming, all of you...