Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-13-2012, 11:31 PM

Default firewire solutions for new laptop?

I recently got a new laptop (Dell XPS 17), which of course has no firewire or express card ports. So my Digi 003 rack has become an expensive paper weight... Seems not many new laptops are coming with these ports, so wondering if others may have found a solution? My laptop has USB3 connections and that's about it. I've been searching for usb3/firewire converters, external pci enclosures with usb3 connections but no luck. Or do I need to bite the bullet and search for a new laptop?
Old 01-14-2012, 06:20 PM

Default Re: firewire solutions for new laptop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Erman View Post
I recently got a new laptop (Dell XPS 17), which of course has no firewire or express card ports. So my Digi 003 rack has become an expensive paper weight... Seems not many new laptops are coming with these ports, so wondering if others may have found a solution? My laptop has USB3 connections and that's about it. I've been searching for usb3/firewire converters, external pci enclosures with usb3 connections but no luck. Or do I need to bite the bullet and search for a new laptop?
Hey, welcome my fellow countryman great to see another Kiwi

I'm not aware of any converters that will work so I suspect you may have to look for another solution.

I don't know what you record or how you like to work, whether you absolutely need a portable solution or whether you could record at home and mix/edit on the move. If you have your 003 setup in a home studio where it never gets moved then you could record on a desktop PC and copy the session onto a laptop to work with it on the move. For this to work though you would need to be using Pro Tools v9 or 10.

Pro Tools is notoriously sensitive to working on any ol' PC laptop, so if you do choose to get another one, look around here and do some research to find out which ones work before you go out and buy. If you need to ask for help then do so as others have already been through the pain of finding out the hard way.

I'm north of Auckland. If you want some help email me.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 01-17-2012, 01:32 AM

Default Re: firewire solutions for new laptop?

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah I need a mobile solution for recording live performances etc. I have been using a desktop PC, but it's getting a little old and I would rather just have the one workstation

Guess I need to start hunting round for an alternative laptop. It's annoying that there are no USB3 converters, as USB3 is supposed to be the successor to Express Port...