Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2001, 05:29 AM

Default Re: I´d like to HEAR your stuff...

It´s getting even harder to keep up now as there are more and more songs pouring in every day...

Executivos:
Listened to your song and it simply needs more bass ( as in bass guitar ). The low end is ok, but it needs more harmonics. Those really add a sense of realism and life to the track. And while we´re on the subject, give the bass drum more snap, so it cuts through better and ease the reverb on snare a bit. In every other respect a nice mix. I realize I might be too late here, but anyway...

Gorilla:
I listened to Human Soup only, because of limited time. Can somebody actually play that fast? Awesome. You could try not panning the overheads and toms so hard because it gets pretty distracting at times, and I would think with headphones it could get even worse. The mix gets muddy easily with speed like this, but this wasn´t that bad, good job. Was there any an effect on the vocal, or is that your singers voice really, sounded really nice in a strange way...

IOP:
A nice take on the " how on earth did they write this? "-type of songwriting. Interesting turns. A nice balance throughout, but the overall sound could be heavier, like, more low end to give it more push. Also, the toms suffered a bit, because of the thin sound... But everybody, check this out for twisted songwriting...

Roy H:
Gotta gitcha... Nice guitar playing, but sounds a bit synthey at times. Could it be just me? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]. Nice effect, a talk box or what? A good balance and a nice bass sound, although a bit synthey again. Needs a little attention on drum programming, though, as there are fills on top of the beat. Less sloppy than the great records that were made in the 60´s and 70´s. I liked it...

Kryso:
Heavy rock is coming back, eh? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Nice Euro-style high pitched heavy vocals and guitars, but needs more bass ( what heavy recording doesn´t, listen to old Kiss records and you know what I mean ) and IMO a slightly heavier kick drum sound. Also, try panning the toms not-so-hard and giving a bit less space to the synth parts, as they bury the others somewhat. Nice one all in all, and very true to the genre... A fine composition...

David 001:
I listened only to Resting, because my time is really limited. If you read the above, you´ll know what´s coming... yes, more bass to give it a more solid foundation. Nice guitars and good vocals, but I had a hard time hearing the lyrics. Simply, lift the vocals up, as now they´re buried by other instruments. And, as I´ve said before, live drums generally work better in this genre ( again, IMO ). I know these were rough mixes, but anyway. The muddiness you were referring to ( which is not all that bad, by the way ) will disappear if the mastering guy knows his job well. Believe me, mastering works wonders, but it´s even better to get mix right to begin with...

Mr 7:
Nice song. Good overall balance, but the vocals are a bit sibilant ( could use a de-esser ), and it gets confusing with the delayed s´s panning around ( more high cut in the delays, please ). T-Racks is indeed nice for mastering, don´t you think? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Also, if you have the option, you could try live drums on songs like this. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-03-2001, 07:20 AM

ha ha! that's funny! everyone needs more bass except da BASStarD!
Old 09-03-2001, 02:43 PM

DaB,
This IS a hoot, isn't it?

Roy
Old 09-03-2001, 05:38 PM

David, what monitors are you using to mix? I'm guessing that they're heavy on the low end giving you a sense of bass. Your mixes are all missing that low so I tend to think monitors. I like your songs. I too play in worship/christian music bands. I also recorded a friend who writes worship/praise music. You might like to check out a song or two by him at http://www.mp3.com/rustyperez
Old 09-03-2001, 08:28 PM

Default Re: I´d like to HEAR your stuff... *DELETED*

Post deleted by David001
Old 09-03-2001, 09:38 PM

David

Nice monitors are important, but you can use pretty much any speakers if you will:

1. Use proper placement in your studio enviroment.
2. Tune them with a graphic eq to a reference CD i.e. music that sounds like what your producing.
3. Know and learn the specific limitations to your speaker so you can compensate.

I have a set of older JBL NearField Monitors that I love and I'm very used to. My friend brought over his new Event 20/20 bas monitors and we A/B them. His did sound better, but I used my graphic eq and we with the help of my blind friend matched mine to his. The difference was very minimal and I didn't feel the need to spend $700 or so for that difference.
Old 09-09-2001, 11:38 PM

kalle,
This has been a good topic, allowing a lot of us to hear each other's music. I for one appreciate your posting it.
When your web site gets ironed out, try to post some of your music, too. I'd love to hear it.
I'm in Memphis, Tennessee, by the way(I think you had asked me).

Say hello to Finland for us.....

Roy
Old 09-10-2001, 12:59 AM

I agree.

It has been really good hearing from you all. Everybody else who listened to the many mixes posted must have found it very educating, like me. As the flood of mixes has begun to cease, I´ll take this opportunity to THANK ALL OF YOU WHO PARTICIPATED IN THIS CONVERSATION, either by sending your mix and/ or adding your thoughts [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img].
Old 09-10-2001, 01:09 AM

http://64.167.76.219/ Try looking at my stuff.
Old 09-10-2001, 01:11 AM

http://64.167.76.219/ Try looking at my stuff.