Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2009, 07:32 AM

Exclamation Reason MIDI stops w/ ProTools open

When i open Reason in any way when Pro Tools is open, I receive a message that the MIDI is in use by another program.
I want to be able to use the synthesizers from Reason while running Protools, and yes I know how to use Rewire. What is the solution?
THANK YOU.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:46 AM

Default Re: Reason MIDI stops w/ ProTools open

The message you are getting is not about the MIDI devices in Reason.

The message you are getting is about the MIDI hardware devices, specifically controllers, that you have connected.

Pro Tools for Windows "steals" the MIDI hardware devices and hold on to them exclusively. Most people don't care, as they are using the controllers in/for Pro Tools anyway, and just passing the MIDI data on to reason through re-wire.

If you absolutely need to use your MIDI controller inside reason (I'm not sure why you would when using re-wire), nad you are using a USB controller, there is a workaround; turn off the controller before starting Pro Tools. Once Pro Tools is started, turn the controller back on, let windows recognize it and load the drivers, and then Reeason should be able to see it.

I cover this in a tutorial on my website: www.ptnewbie.com

~

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 07-23-2009, 08:19 AM

Great trick! Thank you for the quick response. You are exactly right, I want to use the MIDI controls from ProTools Rewire, but the MIDI won't send to Reason. I can play MIDI on a MIDI track and then change the output to the Reason Instrument and it will play. However, I cannot control Reason in real time so that I can hear the notes while I play through Pro Tools. It seems that it does not attempt to work because it will not record the MIDI notes there either. It will only record the MIDI notes if I do not specify Reason as the output. What am I missing?
Old 07-23-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyserkess View Post
I can play MIDI on a MIDI track and then change the output to the Reason Instrument and it will play.
That's what should happen.
Quote:
However, I cannot control Reason in real time so that I can hear the notes while I play through Pro Tools.
Then something is wrong with what you are trying to do.

Have you read my tutorial?
Quote:
It seems that it does not attempt to work because it will not record the MIDI notes there either.
Record the MIDI notes where?
Quote:
It will only record the MIDI notes if I do not specify Reason as the output.
Something is definitely wrong there.

Can you describe your setup please? It will be easier to help you if we know what we are dealing with.
What controller?
What version of Pro Tools?
What version of Reason?
How do you have the Pro Tools session and track(s) setup?
etc etc

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Old 07-23-2009, 09:03 AM

Hi there Spkguitar:

I am using ProTools LE v.7.1 for PC
My controller is the Midiman USB to my Alesis QS8 keyboard
I am using Reason 4

I set up ProTools with MIDI and Instrument Tracks in a session. I change the outputs in Reason to channels 3&4 and the MIDI in PT in from my keyboard and out to Reasoon, and I have an Instrument track in ProTools to have the Reason Instrument outputs to 3&4.
I can hear Reason in ProTools when I press play in either application. I can see in Reason at the top (no MIDI input) so I must be missing a step to send MIDI from protools. In other words, it seems to receive signals from Reason fine, just not the other way around. Maybe I need to do something in Aux?
Old 07-23-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
My controller is the Midiman USB to my Alesis QS8 keyboard
OK, so you're using the QS8 as your controller, and it is connected to your system through the Midiman via USB?

Which Midiman USB specifically?

Quote:
I set up ProTools with MIDI and Instrument Tracks in a session.
Ok.
Quote:
I change the outputs in Reason to channels 3&4
Why? If you are only doing a stereo audio return from reason, there's no need to change it. This isn't really your problem, but might be confusing you a bit.
Quote:
and the MIDI in PT in from my keyboard and out to Reasoon,
You said you have Instrument and MIDI tracks setup in Pro Tools? Are you setting the MIDI I/O for each track? Which devices in Reason are you using?
Quote:
and I have an Instrument track in ProTools to have the Reason Instrument outputs to 3&4.
OK, but remember, this is audio return from reason. It is routing all of the audio that is going to the 3&4 audio channels.
Quote:
I can hear Reason in ProTools when I press play in either application.
That is a good sign. Do you already have a song programmed in Reason?
Quote:
I can see in Reason at the top (no MIDI input) so I must be missing a step to send MIDI from protools.
No.

Setting up a Pro Tools Insturment or MIDI track to send MIDI output to a reason device will not change the "No MIDI Input" in the Reason Hardware Device, Advanced MIDI Device view. (you are thinking too much, and might want to spend some time with the Reason manual )

Quote:
In other words, it seems to receive signals from Reason fine,
It receives audio from Reason correctly. Re-wire does not send MIDI in both directions.

MIDI from Rewire host (Pro Tools) -> rewire slave (Reason)
Audio from Rewire Slave (Reason) -> rewire host (Pro Tools)

Quote:
Maybe I need to do something in Aux?
Wow. You're really reaching, and not understanding how this works at all.

Have you read my tutorial?

Basics:
  • Instrument track in Pro Tools
  • Insert Reason on Instrument track
  • In reason, add a synth that you want to control to the rack (let's say SubTractor)
  • on the Pro Tools instrument track, select the synth you are trying to control (SubTractor) as the MIDI output for the track (in the Instrument view on the track)
  • record arm the track
  • play your controller

Old 07-23-2009, 10:00 AM

Hi - thanks for the quick reply again,
I am using the midiman 1x1 i think its called. The most basic one.
I have these applications installed on my other hard drive, so I have to restart to get there and give your tutorial a go. I am downloading some samples and loops at the moment.

I have done everything in your tutorial but I want to try the part "assuming that you have the Default Thru Instrument set for “first selected MIDI track”. If not, either make that setting (Setup->Preferences, MIDI tab) or record enable the track."

Maybe this could be the problem.
Quote:
You said you have Instrument and MIDI tracks setup in Pro Tools? Are you setting the MIDI I/O for each track? Which devices in Reason are you using?
Yes, I am using the subtractor or whatever it is. In is MIDI Device ALL, and Out is the REASON instrument Subtractor. I get no reaction when I play the keyboard when it is set like this. Again, I will try the last part of your tutorial, I hope that will fix the problem. I will not be able to try this until tonight or tomorrow morning. Big download in progress.

I have not gone through the Reason manual yet because I thought I was missing a common step and at least thought I would find out whether it is a Reason problem or a ProTools problem that I need to address. Thanks again and I will let you know if Midi Through corrects the problem or not.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
I want to try the part "assuming that you have the Default Thru Instrument set for “first selected MIDI track”. If not, either make that setting (Setup->Preferences, MIDI tab) or record enable the track."

Maybe this could be the problem.
Yep, most definitely.

If your Default Thru Instrument is set for "first selected MIDI track", and your track isn't selected, OR your track is not record enabled, you will not hear anything when you play your controller.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:08 PM

Hi spkguitar, I made the changes in First Selected MIDI track and of course kept the track record-enabled. It is allow me to record MIDI, but I cannot hear the Reason instrument until the play back. So it still will not play the midi audio in real time. I tried disabling the conroller in Reason and restarting Reason, but it did not help.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:24 PM

G*$ Damn~! I got it! I did not have MIDI Through selected under Options !!! G DAMN IT. MAN, what a relief. Thank you so much for your help spkguitar. I hope this helps you in the future. Im sure it is common sense to many, but I didn't see this in any tutorials so I am sure others will miss it too. Thanks so much.