Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2001, 07:06 PM

Default MAGMA price drop before AES show

I have noticed that on Magma's website they are offering reduced prices on their expansion chasis' up until the time of the AES show. They have called this the "AES special" and they are using the ProTools Logo to advertize this offer.
To me this suggests that Magma are trying to unload their product before the AES show which then leads me to believe that it's because after the AES show there will no longer be a need for an expansion chasis with Protools.

Time will tell if we going to see beautiful new hardware options that will allow us to more freely use the entire line of Apple computers for our audio needs instead of being forced to only use the towers.

This would be a wonderful thing.

Thanks Digi!
Old 09-17-2001, 05:00 AM

Default Re: MAGMA price drop before AES show

Wonderful dream.......
Now wake up and get back to work.
Old 09-17-2001, 08:55 AM

I think all of you are forgetting one thing..That is - although video users enjoy full resolution bandwidth with Firewire or USB to input and output video into their Macs, thereby putting the future of Video hardware such as Avid & other big pricey video fx workstations in question, The audio world requires lots of inputs and outputs..whether it's into & out of 20 mic pres on a rhythm section, or 36/48 through a console, external Fx boxes, or a mound of synths & samplers whatever; You simply need a lot of cards to hook up all those 888's to, as well as Processing to handle all the individual data streams....I don't know..there's no circumventing that...not yet...

Also : the 96K question....I don't know about you guys but 44.1/24 is not too bad for me and I don't feel like doubling my backup time & media costs...(again), as well as Halving the current DSP capabilities of the existing systems...I think that the current stuff can't even handle real surround multi channel plugs-in as well as a big mixer....Let alone double the data for 96k....Unless Digi will alow you to do small track count mastering sessions at 96k & DVD authoring ...but the new systems (if any) still won't be powerfull enough to handle 64 track 96k sessions..with plug-ins no way....I don't know prove me wrong...the Mac data buss won't be able to handle that...We have enough trouble running Fisher Price compressed digital video with our sessions as is.....Don't get me wrong I love my Mix+ system and am a big fan of better quality sounding audio, but When Mix24 came out it really wasn't that much more powerfull than PCI3 DSP wise....I mean just the mixer with more outputs takes up so much power.....
What sayeth ye others of Digi Land...... [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-17-2001, 10:51 AM

"You simply need a lot of cards to hook up all those 888's to"

Do you? There are already firewire IO boxes available (I believe up to 16 or 24 tracks). I'm sure there will be more down the road, and for many people that's enough.
Old 09-17-2001, 02:08 PM

>>Wonderful dream.......
Now wake up and get back to work. <<

Exactly!
It's gonna take AT LEAST a couple of years to have enough processing power in your Mac to run FULL mixes. I'm talking about 40 EQ's, 40 compressors, several delays, several master compressors, autotune, Pitch shifters, Echofarm, AmpFarm, LoFi's , Analogue channels (40), Dithering, Modulations, Chorus, Flanging,.....
There is NOT A SINGLE SYSTEM below $5000 that can do that without external DSP's.
So stop that crap talk and yes, get back to work. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Steve
Old 09-17-2001, 02:15 PM

Its not a matter of if... Its a matter of when.
Old 09-17-2001, 02:32 PM

"There is NOT A SINGLE SYSTEM below $5000 that can do that without external DSP's."

I'm curious...exactly how many mix farms would it take to create the setup you list?

It's funny that it takes more and more farms to better a native system...

Mike
Old 09-17-2001, 05:06 PM

Its true, prices of the Integrated Apple/MAGMA products have dropped. It was originally an "AES Sale". However, now that the AES show has been postponed the sale in not called "AES" because it still ends on Sept. 24, 2001. The details are at http://www.magma.com

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Jerry Finklestien:
I have noticed that on Magma's website they are offering reduced prices on their expansion chasis' up until the time of the AES show. They have called this the "AES special" and they are using the ProTools Logo to advertize this offer.
To me this suggests that Magma are trying to unload their product before the AES show which then leads me to believe that it's because after the AES show there will no longer be a need for an expansion chasis with Protools.

Time will tell if we going to see beautiful new hardware options that will allow us to more freely use the entire line of Apple computers for our audio needs instead of being forced to only use the towers.

This would be a wonderful thing.

Thanks Digi!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-17-2001, 06:02 PM

That is false! The sale is called "AES Special" and that refers to the price drop of Magam expansion chasis' up until the time of the 111th AES show that will happen now on november 30th. I am sure Magma will change the date soon to have the sale go until the 30th of Nov.

I think Magma is probably happy about the AES show being set back because it means that they can unload more of their expansion boxes before they become obsolete.

Digi hardware is way overdue for an upgrade. Don't fool yourself. Digidesign is on top of the market. they know that they have to be competitive to stay in the top position which they will continue to hold.

A similar clue as to the developments of Digi hardware is the mix cubed promotion which basically puts an existing product in a new package and concept.

I think that people should buy up all of Digi's current hardware and put it to good use before they release the new stuff that will probably be buggy for the first few runs anyway.
Old 09-17-2001, 09:32 PM

I had a post a while back similar to this. I heard a rumor that DIGI was coming out with a system this fall that would obsolete TDM and the need for Mix Cards. The Digi Administrator replied after a couple of days and said in no uncertain terms that Digidesign was NOT coming out with a Native only system and would continue to support TDM. So I think our expansion chassis are safe at least for the time being. I'm glad Magma is having a sale. It makes that 4 slot I just bought for my Powerbook a lot cheaper!

I regularly run sessions in excess of 2 hours in length with around 70 tracks of audio and lots of plug ins. I am using four Mix cards and four vintage cards. I think the Mac is gonna have to get a LOT faster before it can handle that with RTAS only.

I second the motion that 44.1/48k is fine for me. I'm in no rush for 96k.
Pro Tools 10/11 HD, Mac OS 10.8.2, Mac Pro 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon (June 2012) 64 Gig RAM, Avid HDX Card, OMNI HD I/O, 192 HD 16x16, Artist MC Control, Firewire audio drives, Sony Bravia 42" HDMI monitor, Acer 24" monitor