Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2011, 07:32 PM

Default Playing to a Backing Track Without Recording

I apoligize in advance for not knowing the proper terminology. If I did, I might have been about to find the answer(s) to my question in the various PDFs.

I'm running my 11R into PT-10 via standard USB connection. Everything is normal as far as I know. I think what I want to be able to do is best described by describing what I'm able to do and pointing out the thing that I want to do differently.

I have an audio drum track that I made in another PT session.
I have my guitar going into 11R and on into PT10.
I record-enabled the guitar track.
I press the record button on the transport window.
I press the play button on the transport window.

As a result, I am able to hear my drum track, hear my guitar and record my guitar simultaneously. Everything works as advertised. Hugs all around.

What I want to be able to do is to not have to record the guitar track every time I want to play to the drum track. I would like to hear my rig output and my drum track at the same time without having to record what I'm doing. It seems like a nit, but all that writing and erasing is just more processing and disk writes than is really needed for what I'm doing (which is basically practicing).

Is there a way to set this up so I can hear everything out of my monitors without having to actually record the guitar?
Old 12-21-2011, 07:38 PM

Default Re: Playing to a Backing Track Without Recording

There are a few ways to do this:

1. Use an Aux track instead of an Audio track, Aux tracks are always set to input monitoring.

2. Toggle Input Monitoring when you are using your audio track. What's happening is that when you press play with a track in record ready the track goes into playback mode, and when PT is stopped it switches back to input monitoring. You can change this behavior in the Options menu, the key command is cmd+k.

Mac Pro 2008 (Harpertown) -- OS X 10.8.2 -- 16GB RAM -- WD Black Drives -- UA Apollo Quad -- Pro Tools 10 w/ CPTK
Old 12-21-2011, 08:12 PM

Default Re: Playing to a Backing Track Without Recording

Thank you very much for this. I wasn't able to find it in options, but alt-k (Windows) works like a champ. Thanks again.

(I don't know why I thought of looking into it, but didn't pursue the aux track type. thanks for the tip all the same. Probably a very elegent way of doing it without forgetting how/what I left a particular mode in. )
Old 12-21-2011, 11:28 PM

Sorry, your right it's option (alt) + k, wasn't in front of a system to check when I wrote that. I'm pretty sure the actual menu item is under options and it's something like "Auto Input Monitoring" vs "Input Only Monitoring." Either way, glad you got it working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mac Pro 2008 (Harpertown) -- OS X 10.8.2 -- 16GB RAM -- WD Black Drives -- UA Apollo Quad -- Pro Tools 10 w/ CPTK