Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 12-20-2005, 06:31 AM

Default Converting audio into PT, which sample rate?

Hey all,
I recorded a full-length CD for a friend on my Tascam DA-38 a couple years back and now want to transfer those songs through my IF-TAD (lightpipe) converter into Pro Tools. The songs were originally recorded at 44.1k/16 bit.
My question, will I gain anything by importing the files into PT using 48k/24 bit?
Hard drive space is at a bit of a premium on my system and it might take a while before I can mix all these tunes. I know importing at 16 bit would save hard drive space but won't do it if there's anything to be gained by doing it as a 24 bit session.
Your thoughts?

Any help appreciated,
J.D
Old 12-20-2005, 07:00 AM

Default Re: Converting audio into PT, which sample rate?

you'll gain nothing but speed so you need to stay at 44.1 unless you're applying SRC on the way in. you may as well stay at 16 bit to conserve disk space as digitally transferring 16 bit audio to a 24 bit session will do nothing more than use extra space.

so, be sure the PT clock source is set to external and the sample rate is 44.1 otherwise you'll run into pitch issues when the external clock source is disconnected. (i.e. the session will play back pitched up if you set the session sample rate to 48 but the source clock during the bounce is 44.1)

did i repeat myself just enough to confuse you there?
Old 12-20-2005, 07:01 AM

I just had a client with an old tape conversion that needed to be done. Took it in at 44/24 so I only had to dither it once. Turned out well once I added X-noise and some other compresison plugs for levels. Then applied the POW-R dither and bounced it to 44/16. Seemed to do well.

Good luck,
Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 12-20-2005, 07:20 AM

Rocktron,
I appreciate your notice of the clock source!
Every time I've had to do a conversion with the IF-TAD, it's trial and error all the way (can you say "frustration?"), eventually, I get the job done. (Doc's an old hand at these). But the first conversion I ever did, I screwed up on the clock source and yep, it played too fast/high pitch.

J.D
Old 12-20-2005, 07:43 AM

You can bring it in to whatever you want. 96/24 if you like, you just need to dither it in the end to 44/16 otherwise you will have issues with speed. Sounds like you may have had the session set to something like 44/16 and the clock set to a higher sample rate when you brought in the audio if the speed was an issue.

Rail has a program that fixes that. Sometimes it is easier to lean and start over though.

I was going to go in at 48/24 because I was going to master the audio after I cleaned it up. Decided that it did not need it. I actually ran mine out from my tape deck, line in to my DIGIPRE and got the levels up to get some detail in the voiceover, then pt it into the APOGEE into Pro Tools. The 24bit just gave me a bit more headroom to play with so I started there. Added a 4 band eq and took out some bad lows to get rid of the rumble. Added the X-noise and adjusted to where the HISS was gone but not the life and then applied the L2 at 16 bit, no dither and ultra. Then added the POW-R and bounced it to 44/16. Worked well. Levels were not too hot and had plenty of room if the client wanted it louder. Since it was voice, there was no need to have it smokin' hot. That is what a volume knob is for.

Good luck,

Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 12-20-2005, 10:37 AM

J.D ,
My advice is ..don't mess with the sample rate, stay at 44.1Khz. But..transfer into a 24 bit session, so all eventual further overdubs, as well as internal processing will be executed at a better quality.
FWIW, I do this type of stuff all the time and the results are good..yes a bit more hard disc space, so what ?
happy tooling mate,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring