Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2022, 11:25 AM

Default Artist Mix loses layout if I exit Control app

I'm relatively new to Artist Mix and Control app, but it's going well and I'm having a lot of fun.

The latest thing for me is layouts. I figured I would like to have fader 8 on artist mix showing 1-2 main outs, as a master volume, and set that as standard on my main PT template.

I use Control on my iPad, but not all the time. The problem is, when I exit (not quit) Control app, the session loses its layout, and I have to select it again, either in Eucon settings on the mac, or open control again and set the layout again.

Hoping it's something I missed, and it's not how it's supposed to work.
Old 07-08-2022, 07:36 AM

Default Re: Artist Mix loses layout if I exit Control app

What do you mean "exit (not quit)"?
Are you talking about moving the focused application away from Pro Tools?
All other situations would mean closing the Control app that I can think of. Which is, in essence, quitting. Avid Control does not run a background application maintaining contact with Eucontrol on the Mac when it is not up.

Have you saved the layout (unsure from wording) or is your layout just on the assign tab and not stored on the Layout tab (and then the Pro Tools session saved)?
Old 07-08-2022, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
What do you mean "exit (not quit)"?
Are you talking about moving the focused application away from Pro Tools?
All other situations would mean closing the Control app that I can think of. Which is, in essence, quitting. Avid Control does not run a background application maintaining contact with Eucontrol on the Mac when it is not up.

Have you saved the layout (unsure from wording) or is your layout just on the assign tab and not stored on the Layout tab (and then the Pro Tools session saved)?
When you close an app on ipad, by clicking the home button, the app is still in the memory, so it's not quit. Double-click the home button and it shows all the apps active in memory. If you then drag an app out of the screen, it's gone from memory, quit.

Anyway, that's not important. Yes I have saved the layout. So if I have the layout on the Artist Mix, if I close Control app on ipad, the custon layout is gone from Artist Mix, and I can recall it in the eucontrol settings on the mac, or open Control app on the ipad and recall it from there. The second I close Control app, the custom layout is gone from the Artist Mix. That's the problem.
Old 07-08-2022, 08:10 AM
Avid

Closing the Control App removes it from the Surfaces list effectively changing the surface layout in EUCON. Yes you would have to recall the layout
Old 07-08-2022, 08:17 AM

Thanks, Eddie.
Seems unnecessary, though. That the Artist Mix can't retain its layout even though the ipad is gone from the surfaces list. Well, I'll just have to recall layout in eucontrol settings everytime I want to save some power on the ipad.
Old 07-08-2022, 10:09 AM

I think it's pretty lame, to be honest.

I'm trying to make a Automator script to select layouts tab in Eucontrol menu item, select layout 1, and click 'Recall'. I can't make it work. I don't suppose there are any applescript wizards out there who could help?
Old 07-08-2022, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
Closing the Control App removes it from the Surfaces list effectively changing the surface layout in EUCON. Yes you would have to recall the layout
Let me put it like this: Do you think it's possible to fix, so that it does not happen? I can't see a reason why this would be unavoidable, but I'm no programmer.
Old 07-08-2022, 02:22 PM

Why not just keep the iPad plugged into USB power? (what people using the Dock and S1 do like myself)
Old 07-08-2022, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Why not just keep the iPad plugged into USB power? (what people using the Dock and S1 do like myself)
I could, of course do that, but it's another cable across the floor, and it has to be a long one, and I do grab the iPad now and then and use it for other things, kinda like the point with a wireless tablet. I'll live with it, cable or no cable.

I would just like to know why it has to change the layout on Artist Mix just because I exit Avid Control on the iPad. Does it have to be like that, or is it poor design?
Old 07-09-2022, 05:42 AM

I have the same issue as my ipad is also used to control my speaker controller so every time I switch back to AVID Control the layout defaults back to all auto.

I am working around it by assigning by default work layout to the right most softkey on my S1 so at one button press I can get back to where I was after a switch of apps on the iPad.

Frank.