Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 12-01-2008, 06:12 PM

Default Pres and shorts

Just a couple quick questions here guys. First of all, is there any way to completely bypass the mic pres on the 003 console? Lets say If I plug an out of my ISA into the 003 micpre, this won't accomplish anything due to the fact that I'm still using the 003's converters, correct?

My other question is, how can I assign multiple tracks in PT to the same bus, or I/O simultaneously? I know there's a shortcut for this one, yea I know, been doing it one at a time, pretty sad, haha.

Thanks N8V
Old 12-01-2008, 09:29 PM

Default Re: Pres and shorts

Plug your ISA into the line inputs 5-8. Set the inputs on the back of the 003 to the +4 position. And use balanced cables(probably XLR out of the ISA and TRS going into the line inputs of the 003).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-01-2008, 09:58 PM

Hmm, well yes you should use the Line ins on the 003, but you will be using the 003 A/D conversion unless there was a way to come into the 003 from the ISA digitally. Looking at the Focusrite website I don't see that as a default option...it's an upgrade which you don't say if you have or not. Therefore using the 003 line ins is still the correct thing to do in your case since you will at least be bypassing an extra mic pre stage...there being no need to place 2 transformers in you chain. The ultimate option for the 003, if you can migrate to it, is to use the Adat I/O option, which completely bypasses the converters...as I understand it this is an upgrade option for the ISA, and a worthy one. I use this interface method with the 003 since I have a Tascam Dm-3200 with Adat outs clocked along with the 003 by a Mytek master clock. To be honest I haven't done any extensive A/B comparison of the DM3200 converters compared to the 003, but I've done enough research to expect that they are in the same class. My clocking peace of mind is handled by the Mytek.
Ultimately I wouldn't worry a bunch about the quality of the 003 A/D at this point. I think they are right in the ballpark/state of the art in terms of what most of us need.

Wilson Dyer mpse
Old 12-02-2008, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeLuv17 View Post
My other question is, how can I assign multiple tracks in PT to the same bus, or I/O simultaneously? I know there's a shortcut for this one, yea I know, been doing it one at a time, pretty sad, haha.

Thanks N8V
Select the tracks you need (ctrl-click), then hold shift+alt whilst changing the parameter you need to only change the selected tracks (also works with solo, mute, plug-in bypass etc).

Another good one is holding shift+alt+ctrl, which will change the selected tracks incremently, say you have 5 tracks which you want to set to the busses 1-5.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:39 PM

Thank you for everyone's quick responses. I guess I should clarify my question a little bit more, which basically you guys answered. I am indeed using the line ins for the ISA, and there is an adat upgrade for this allowing for another 4 pres via adat allowing me 8 with that extra card upgrade. I am content right now using my presonus fs as an adat source, with the ISA with the line ins, and the 4 mics pres on the back giving me a total of 16 at will. I was just wondering if I could make the 4 digi pres higher quality by adding the the pre outs directly to those, but like u guys said, that's two transformers, which isn't necessary, not to mention I'm still using the 003 converters. Just thought I'd see if anyone had success in replacing/upgrading these factory pres. There not terrible, but clients would rather record with the 428 over the 003 pres any day.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeLuv17 View Post
Thank you for everyone's quick responses. I guess I should clarify my question a little bit more, which basically you guys answered. I am indeed using the line ins for the ISA, and there is an adat upgrade for this allowing for another 4 pres via adat allowing me 8 with that extra card upgrade. I am content right now using my presonus fs as an adat source, with the ISA with the line ins, and the 4 mics pres on the back giving me a total of 16 at will. I was just wondering if I could make the 4 digi pres higher quality by adding the the pre outs directly to those, but like u guys said, that's two transformers, which isn't necessary, not to mention I'm still using the 003 converters. Just thought I'd see if anyone had success in replacing/upgrading these factory pres. There not terrible, but clients would rather record with the 428 over the 003 pres any day.
you could always send it to http://www.blacklionaudio.com/ and they will replace the pre's and converters, everyone who has done this seems very happy.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:37 PM

you could always send it to http://www.blacklionaudio.com/ and they will replace the pre's and converters, everyone who has done this seems very happy. - I believe I read somewhere that they stopped doing the mods on the 003 console
Old 12-02-2008, 02:59 PM

I was about to ask WHICH ISA you have, but you answered it before I asked.... hmmmmm hey what are the winning lotto numbers this weekend??

The ISA428 is a great product, I used to own (2) of them....now I have the ISA828. The A/D option for the ISA428 was good, VERY VERY good and a big upgrade from even the 003, IMHO. Likewise, it's a better converter over the DigimaxFS. Now, the new ISA828 option has been even more improved and is very much a high fidelity A/D converter that certainly would blow you away. Here's the good news---that same option also works in the ISA428.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:09 AM

Since my question is in the same general topic as Nate's I'm going to piggyback onto this thread.

I'm thinking of adding an API 3124+ to use as my primary input stage for recording drums, bass, acoustic guitar and vocals. I have the 003Rack + Factory and since I know the mic pres can't be bypassed, is adding the API overkill? Will I get the desired result this way?

I've used the 3124 in commercial studios and always liked the way it sounded (colored). I have good mics (Neumann, Mojave, EV...Royer on the way) and plan to use the Glyn Johns approach for micing the drums (big vintage Ludwig kit).

Also, I'm assuming the correct signal path would be:

Mic -> API -> 003 analog ins?

I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.
64GB RAM/1TB
ProTools 2020.5
MOTU 828 MkII
Genelec 8020/7040A
Glyph GT050Q
Novation SLK MkIII
www.YourSessionBassist.com
www.soundcloud.com/davedemarco